• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Freddie, what was determined to be the best TPS setting?

Guys, I synched my carbs yesterday. I synched them all up with #3 the non-adjustable one). I have my idle adjust screw all the way out and my idle is just a hair over 1,500. I can't get it any less unless I degrade the idle quality. I have the carbs synched to near perfection with my Morgan carb tune II.
So, then I went and turned on the key and stuffef my digital voltmeter into the yellow and black wires as required and I split the difference between (as freddie suggested) somewhere between .725 and .750. I set mine at .737.

My question is:

Since my idle is a bit higher than the specified 1350 (1250-1450) should I have either made it a bit higher or lower to compensate for this? I am guessing it really doesn't matter much but you just never know.
What do you think?

Frosty

Frostbite said:
Guys, I synched my carbs yesterday. I synched them all up with #3 the non-adjustable one). I have my idle adjust screw all the way out and my idle is just a hair over 1,500. I can't get it any less unless I degrade the idle quality. I have the carbs synched to near perfection with my Morgan carb tune II.
So, then I went and turned on the key and stuffef my digital voltmeter into the yellow and black wires as required and I split the difference between (as freddie suggested) somewhere between .725 and .750. I set mine at .737.

My question is:

Since my idle is a bit higher than the specified 1350 (1250-1450) should I have either made it a bit higher or lower to compensate for this? I am guessing it really doesn't matter much but you just never know.
What do you think?

Frosty

Frosty, you are simply sitting at idle with a very, very slightly advanced ignition timing setting. I my humble opinion, I would have to say that there is no performance gain or loss regarding this.

Happy New Year!

Freddie

Thanks for easing my concerns Freddie. I feel better about it now. Happy new year to you too, and thank you for making your expertise available to the rest of us yoddleheads.

Frosty

A few posts back Ted said to try another tps if you're not sure if its bad. If you don't have a spare to try, use an analog ohmmeter. With the tps unplugged check the resistance aross the same 2 wires that you checked the voltage. Slowly operate the throttle through is full range. The needle on the meter should move smooth through the whole range without any dips or erratic movements.
When you release the throttle it should go back to the same reading everytime.

guardrail said:
A few posts back Ted said to try another tps if you're not sure if its bad. If you don't have a spare to try, use an analog ohmmeter. With the tps unplugged check the resistance aross the same 2 wires that you checked the voltage. Slowly operate the throttle through is full range. The needle on the meter should move smooth through the whole range without any dips or erratic movements.
When you release the throttle it should go back to the same reading everytime.

Thanks for weighing in on this one guradrail! Good advice indeed!

Freddie

Back