• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Fuel in Saddlebags

biffdotorg

VIP Member
Website
www.biff.org
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Apex XTX and Viper LTX SE
WEBSITE
www.biff.org
So I know others have used the Nytro Saddlebags with Fuel on a number of sleds. From those that have owned them, wasn't there a metal brace you mounted on the sled to help support them?

Some tell me if this is not a good idea. I was at the local Harley dealership picking up some things and saw this one gallon can that was designed to fit the angular shape of the Harley Saddlebags. I immediately saw the shape of the Yamaha Combination saddlebag. These are only one gallon cans, but one per side would be better than nothing. And more than the MSR fuel bottles I have used in the past.

I just need to figure out if the bag could handle the weight. I am going to have to go test fit my saddlebags this summer yet and put some weight in them. Then measure the size of the cans.

Opinions are welcome guys! at $26/each, they are not the cheapest cans. But may be the only option for us rear exhaust guys.

reda-1-gallon-gas-can-17.gif

reda-1-gallon-gas-can-22.gif

luggagebag-500.jpg

a gallon of gas is what 7-8 lbs. I'm sure the bags can handle the weight as long as you use 2 to balance it between. yes the nitro ones had metal brackets that bolted to the tunnel. actually 26 a piece is not bad have you seen the price of a 2 gallon Rotopax and you also have to buy a mount for it. Granted a 1 gallon can at Wal-Mart is around 10 bucks still not bad for purpose built. Then you add the HD factor I am surprised they are not 126.00. cause you know what the HD stands for.

Yup, the price is better than Rotopax, and Rotopax is not an ideal option for those of us with rear exhaust. Even though I have seen a couple mount them on the tunnel of an XTX.

I am going to take my combination saddle bags to the Harley dealer and test fit it. There seems to be very minimal variance in prices online. $28 shipped Amazon prime was it. If they are similar locally, he may just get more of my money. 2-gallons would be gold at times.

Thank God these don't have an HD logo on them, or they would be a Hundred Dollars. Reda Innovations is the manufacturer.

I used to carry gas in my saddle bag in windshield wash bottles for longer trips, worked perfect.
I now have the kolpin fuel cans, similar to the rotopax and find them great.
Screenshot_20170324-102723.png Screenshot_20161116-200547.png

Last edited:
I think I would hit them with my boots when off trail ridding. my jack seat mounts get in the way sometimes.

I looked on E bay found them for 38 bucks shipped to may door for 48 bucks CA. My 1 gallon cans from Canadian Tire cost 6 bucks apiece. Without shipping price varies from 29.95 to a high of 39.95 US! I think the Harley name drove the price up even if it is not on the gas can. I had to check it out as they would fit my Royal Star Saddle bags. Dimensions are 6" Wide x 7" Deep x 10.25" Tall. I dont think they will fit the Sled bag as the side pouch is not 6 inches wide. My 6 dollar cans fit in my saddle bags on the sled but I bought them to fit the running boards. You have to put a chunk of belting under them so the boards don't wear through and bungie them on.

So I threw my Apex Ccombination bags in my bike and headed to the Harley shop yesterday. I was able to test fit this gas can and it fit quite well. It did pull on the zipper a bit, but sat in the bag real well and the shape was near perfect. It still left some storage in the back of the bag for other items.

I may take the dimensions of the saddle bag and a small tape measure with me to Haydays this weekend and watch for other options. Ton's of fuel cans for sale there.

I like the washer bottle idea as a disposable, if I dont need it after its empty I toss it or crumple it to make space. Did you use anything special to seal it ?

If you have an XTX like me, just move your tail light and make a side dump elbow. The ones you purchase don't give enough room but with a little bit of tinkering, you can use a Doo tank like this.
IMG_7918.JPG
IMG_7918.JPG
IMG_7922.JPG
IMG_7920.JPG
IMG_7922.JPG
IMG_7920.JPG

That's interesting Devil. Can you post a picture of the mounts? Did you just buy the LinQ mounts and screw them right to the tunnel? I have a Viper so don't have the exhaust issue but am interested in some extra fuel. My wife has a '17 Renegade with the 900 so I may just put it on her machine as she has a lot more range than me but that may not help if she is not around. One last question - any issue with the fuel pack that far back on the tunnel? In the Ski-Doo accessory book, it specifically says not to put the fuel pack in any position but the one closest to the seat. I think this is due to tunnel bending issues.

Back