• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Full of hot air...

Doc Harley

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'17 Sidewinder LTX SE
number1kyster brought it my attention that IAT's become unmanageable during sustained runs of 16+psi of boost. Probably less, just picked a number.
Which it turn causes detonation, which in turn pulls timing.
Searching threads, the conclusion seems to be @ 90-100° of air temp will cause this to occur.
Your temporary solution is to add boostane. Is that correct??If that's the case, what octane numbers seemingly resolved this issue at the given psi of 16-17psi?
Generally, I ride in 5 to 25°F temps. Mostly 15-20°F

I understand there's an underlying issue.

Last edited:

Unless your doing back to back to back to back runs/racing for a extended time you have nothing to worry about on MS16 boost. Good to have Boostane if you get sketchy gas OR if your planning on racing some.. For trail riding and occasional long pulls on MS 16 you will be perfectly fine just filling premium gas and go.. WITH stock intercooler.. Knock light will obviously tell you its time for Boostane. AFR will tell you if you get bad gas if you pay attention to your numbers while riding. If your going to race all day put a bigger intercooler on it.. This helps with IAT's, and keeps them in check some but beware is you do and your running in colder temps you better have AFR up and Boostane, because they over boost/LEAN out some when cold out. Yes I have a bigger intercooler on MS 17 2022 sled and compared to my 2017/ powertrail with stock intercooler its night and day with IAT's.. So the question??? is do you want to just trail ride and race some guys on occasional pulls > OR race/run long pulls for hours on the lake? I just trail ride but once in awhile I might need to grab some, so I don't even need the bigger intercooler BUT its a ace in the hole if maybe you run across another boosted sled? Or just put a bigger turbo in and intercooler ?? Need or want? LOL

Unless your doing back to back to back to back runs/racing for a extended time you have nothing to worry about on MS16 boost. Good to have Boostane if you get sketchy gas OR if your planning on racing some.. For trail riding and occasional long pulls on MS 16 you will be perfectly fine just filling premium gas and go.. WITH stock intercooler.. Knock light will obviously tell you its time for Boostane. AFR will tell you if you get bad gas if you pay attention to your numbers while riding. If your going to race all day put a bigger intercooler on it.. This helps with IAT's, and keeps them in check some but beware is you do and your running in colder temps you better have AFR up and Boostane, because they over boost/LEAN out some when cold out. Yes I have a bigger intercooler on MS 17 2022 sled and compared to my 2017/ powertrail with stock intercooler its night and day with IAT's.. So the question??? is do you want to just trail ride and race some guys on occasional pulls > OR race/run long pulls for hours on the lake? I just trail ride but once in awhile I might need to grab some, so I don't even need the bigger intercooler BUT its a ace in the hole if maybe you run across another boosted sled? Or just put a bigger turbo in and intercooler ?? Need or want? LOL
Who's intercooler are you running?

Who's intercooler are you running?
Hurricane. Its the front THICKER one... Not a easy fit or install. Got it looking stock like, except the color. Only way you can tell.. Had to do plastic work and knock off the tabs that came on it.. Its a TIGHT FIT under the hood up front.. It can be done but it took me two times to get it right. I probably didn't need it but? Need or Want? LOL.. Pretty sure you know what I'm saying DMC..

WOW, Jon.....very informative....and relieving, all at the same time. Since we both ride in similar conditions.
After some further searches it comes down to, if needed, appx a cap full per gallon. Or just to the top of the threads on the boostane cap. 7.33ml per gallon.
IMG_20221215_073252224_copy_2048x1536.jpg

Last edited:
Yes I run a LITTLE Boostane on every fill.. IMO the tune your on you will only need it when bad gas or racing back to back, etc. The IAT's will creep up for sure with stock intercooler on long pulls.. Just run good gas and have fun on that tune! And if your wanting a little assurance put a cap in on every fill? MY 3 cents

Wow do you guys ride or dick around with your sleds all day, why not make it simpler, must be a who's got the bigger one, just run race gas or switch to lower tune.

Wow do you guys ride or dick around with your sleds all day, why not make it simpler, must be a who's got the bigger one, just run race gas or switch to lower tune.
I like to do both, BUT i like to keep my motor in one piece on MS 17... The only tune I have and need on PUMP gas for trail riding..
We are having a discussion about IAT's. Thanks for your knowledge and feed back though.

I'm kinda surprised that that little increase in intercooler size (hurricane, precision, etc) made any difference.
At 16-17psi the factory intercooler must be extremely "close" to what's needed.

Note: "close", just not close enough.

I'm kinda surprised that that little increase in intercooler size (hurricane, precision, etc) made any difference.
At 16-17psi the factory intercooler must be extremely "close" to what's needed.

Note: "close", just not close enough.
The difference is your IAT's will stay lower longer and cool slightly faster after long runs. AND you get slightly more over boost/lean on those -5 morning when grabbing a bar full. Factory is fine on Stock tune.. The components stock are intended for stock tunes.. In warmer temps the stocker is to small on tunes if your doing long pulls, back to back, etc... All subjective.. Send it with good gas and have fun

Hurricane. Its the front THICKER one... Not a easy fit or install. Got it looking stock like, except the color. Only way you can tell.. Had to do plastic work and knock off the tabs that came on it.. Its a TIGHT FIT under the hood up front.. It can be done but it took me two times to get it right. I probably didn't need it but? Need or Want? LOL.. Pretty sure you know what I'm saying DMC..
Yes I can relate haha

Speaking of big dicks! Hey crossfire, how's it going? Kinda busy right now. You mind if I get back to you later?!?!

WOW, Jon.....very informative....and relieving, all at the same time. Since we both ride in similar conditions.
After some further searches it comes down to, if needed, appx a cap full per gallon. Or just to the top of the threads on the boostane cap. 7.33ml per gallon.
View attachment 170167
The official Boostane chart shows .26 oz/gal. turns 91 octane into 95 octane.
I don't trust very many gas stops any more. I always am running this Boostane percentage at every fill. For my riding, I carry a couple of 2 oz bottles in my sled. Each 2 oz bottle is good for 8 gallons of gas. In the Midwest where I ride, gas quality (octane) has gone hill big time.

The official Boostane chart shows .26 oz/gal. turns 91 octane into 95 octane.
I don't trust very many gas stops any more. I always am running this Boostane percentage at every fill. For my riding, I carry a couple of 2 oz bottles in my sled. Each 2 oz bottle is good for 8 gallons of gas. In the Midwest where I ride, gas quality (octane) has gone hill big time.
Yep, there's a bar with a single pump that looks like it didn't get used much, lower UP (Cisco chain) pretty sure my sled got COVID that day.
I'll see if I can jam the bottle in my tunnel bag. If not, I'll find smaller containers to put it in.

Yep, there's a bar with a single pump that looks like it didn't get used much, lower UP (Cisco chain) pretty sure my sled got COVID that day.
I'll see if I can jam the bottle in my tunnel bag. If not, I'll find smaller containers to put it in.
I have found empty sea foam cans dont leak when used for this.

Back