• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Fully Clipped or Not? + PICS of my "RIPPED" Saw

RSVECTORFREAK said:
rxwonder said:
fxr said:
fully clipped and what did you do to your track?

100-120mph on the dream meter for ohhh....about 3 days... :Rockon:

The RIPsaw is now truly a RIPPEDsaw. It now has a 14"x3" section section down the center that looks like a skinned rabbit. ;)!

I called Camoplast and they said that anyone doing sustained high speeds should NOT be running a 1.25" track and the delamination is caused by heat build up from the lugs. Camoplast recommends a 1" track for riding like this but I just can't bring myself to go back to 1" track.

Well if camoplast says the delamination is caused by heat build up from the lugs at sustained high speeds how is a fully clipped track going to help that???? Looks like the track delaminated inside of the clips.

It won't. I'm only buying the fully clipped for better hyfax wear. As far as the heat....the only answer is a shorter lug which I'm looking into right now. I might go with a 1" instead of a 1.25". Still looking.

track

I had the identical thing happen to my track I only had 500 miles on it with no studs.I did a lot of top speed runs and lake rqcing.So if camoplast said thats from high speeds that explains it.

Why would all the manufacturers put Ripsaws on machines that are capable of running over 100 for many miles?? Glad you jumped in Pro116 because my next question was going to be maybe the studs had something to do with it but I guess not. I hold mine over 100 on the Dream meter for 6 miles runs quite often on the lake I live on, maybe I'll think twice about that now.

Now theres a real RIPsaw!!

Sorry to hear bout that man, what did the track take out in the process when it blew?

Now im even more worried about my track then just throwing a stud...., that must have caused some killer damage!

RSVECTORFREAK said:
Why would all the manufacturers put Ripsaws on machines that are capable of running over 100 for many miles?? Glad you jumped in Pro116 because my next question was going to be maybe the studs had something to do with it but I guess not. I hold mine over 100 on the Dream meter for 6 miles runs quite often on the lake I live on, maybe I'll think twice about that now.

Not ALL machines.....only the 4 strokes. Not many guys will risk their 2-strokes running 5 mile WOT runs. I also think the torque of the 4-strokes are exposing other weak areas in the track that you just would never find in a 2-stroke.

ReX said:
rxwonder, what track did you decide on in the end?

After giving it alot of thought, I ended up going with the 9837. I hope I like it....I always liked a 1.25" so I'm hoping the 1" will be as good or better in all conditions. The Ripsaw is great on the trail but no so much in the deeper snow. We'll see how it does.

TRACKtion_01.jpg

I finally got to try out my RTX yesterday.

Althought the conditions weren't great and I was breaking the engine in alone (didn't want my buddies getting annoyed at my slow break in pace), the 9837H144 seemed to hook up well (with 144 1.075" studs).

It is also a very quiet track which is a big bonus IMO.

rxwonder said:
4Fighter said:
I'd have to think long and hard before going back to a fully clipped track myself.

Fully clipped 100% all the way!!!

Let the debate begin... :Rockon:

Now you see why I'm having trouble with this? I get conflicting info from both sides. 4Fighter....why not clipped? Allan keep in mind that we ride alot of trails which are sometimes hard packed but most often not.

For the average guy who only changes a track, when it goes flying out the back of the tunnel, and who typically does long-distance trail riding, I have to believe that a track is more durable for longevity reasons the more rubber, and fewer holes it has.

But for racing I agree with Allen 100%

Well if the fully clipped track helps top end speed I would look into one for that reason but I have no issues with hyfax wear with my 3rd window track. But then again I never had any problems with idler wheels or track howl either probably due to the fact there is always lots of snow where I ride and I run my track a little looser than specs. I also think the Ripsaw handles great off trail, even my Doo buddy with a 136" 1.75" lug renegade x says he impressed on how it goes through the deep stuff.

Clipped every third

I have found that clipped evry window is noisy and slows top speed. Have had best luck with clipped every third with impregnated clips which hold snow and ice on reserve for lack of snow surfaces. I gained about around 5 mph by switing back to a third every window trak. Currently running the Camoplast Hack Saw clipped every third impregnated clips with 170 woodys gold diggers up center of track only and 3 of my friends bought the same track because I have had such good luck with it. Found that the rip saw was not quite as durable as Hack saw and studding along out side of track = torn track.

I peeled some lugs off my 2"/151 Camo track after going close to 10 miles wot on the lake last spring (I didn't want those Revs passing me!). I was clipped every third with the windows punched out because I run extroverts.

My red hyfax's were black underneath (track rubber). I am fully clipped now.

fully clipped

5000 mi on my 03 and only replaced the hyfaxs once with no track melted to them. Almost sounds like something could be out of whack. My sled partner and I rode 800 miles on dirt, rock and a little pinch of ice in 65 degree weather at coleman state park last year and other than having the temp light come on a couple times at road crossings no hyfax wear very much to my surprise. Installed a kimpex aggressor clipped every window last season and lost over five mph along with sounding like a 747 was taking off so sold it and bought HACK SAW. Nothing but full throttle beatins for 1800 ME miles after install.yeehaw :Rockon: waiting on the couch for my Edge Pro X as we speak to resolve the last complaint I have with sled. :-o

One other advantage of the fully clipped track with extroverts is that you can run the track very loose and never have ratcheting. My 136" hangs about 2" below the rails. I saw some very interesting introvert/extrovert combos in the Royal Distributing catalogue the other day. Also, I have the 1.25" 9834 (aggressive block) and have't had any problems with extended high speed runs. I think it is mainly a factor of how hard the surface is/how much slider snow that causes that kind of heating of the track.

Back