• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

FX to 151"

Fendel

Hello

I have 2007 Phazer FX. I was planning to strech my sled to 144" with rail extensions and use 144" Freeride track. One day I was going to buy that 144" freeride track but got 151" challenger cheaper than 144" freeride track so I bought that and I guess im going now to 151".

I'm thinking to use 144" rail extensions and move skid 3-3,5 back and maybe drop front hole 1". I searched and read what would be good idea when streching 144" to 151". I have now 8 tooth drivers and I bet there is 19/41 gears. Should I use 17 gear or stay with 19 because I have 8 tooth drivers? What about clutch, maybe ulmer clutch kit or something?

What does this sound? I live in Finland, sealevel, no big hills. I dont like ride at trails and im not big fan of speed. Hope you understood everything and sorry for bad English.
Hope you guys can help me out.

when i first streched mine i had a gt with 20 thooth brought it down to 17 worked awsome then put a turbo and im running a 19 now with turbo if you want track spin you need a 17 i have extension on the 151 worked awsome but needed more took the extension out and moved my skid back to get the approach angle i needed and etc etc

Thank you for reply. Yea Im going to use 17/41 gearing and 8t drivers. Bought Schmidtbros clutch kit also. I have now all parts I need. 121-144" extensions and then going to move skid 3,5" max. Lets see what happens

i kept my stock clutching and liked it worked good up at 6000 feet and good a sea level with the turbo i run nytro weights in main and a apex secondary with a shockwave helix

Okey its now ready and goes good. What tools you used when you moved skid straight back? Skid in orginal mounting holes first and then measure straight back level with spirit level or laser? And then 1" front down or how? I think I need to relocate skids. Thanks for help.

I stretched my gt to a 151 I put the mtx a-arm because they are shorter. I also put the 8 tooth extrovert drivers on I have it geared to a 17/40. I put nytro fox floats on it cause they are longer to make the front end sit higher. It was a lot of fun building the sled just wish it has more power for the track length. I'm planning on either a turbo or a super charger for it this summer. If you have any questions please feel free to pm me.

A question for people who have done it. Does moving the skid back put too much pressure on the skis? Does it make the rear suspension not function as designed because the rider weight isn't in the same position on it?

Basically, would it be better to go 151 with extensions or 151 with a setback?

Personally I would go with just a 151 rather then the set back just cause it gives the bigger track print in the deep snow. And you can adjust the ski pressure with the limit strap just gonna take some testing to get it that perfect feel for you.

Rail extension would get more track on the ground but a set back would fix the horrible factory approach angle. Does a set back help to reduce trenching?

My main concern is that the setback would put WAY too much pressure on the skis and too much weight on the center shock.

Any thought?

I went with set back and drop a couple of years ago when going from 144 to 153. 9 tooth drivers and stock 17:41 gears. Big improvement in deep snow, less trenching more stable ride, but hard to sidehill. I recently moved back to stock mounting position with extensions. I only have a couple of days on it so far, but it is not much difference. I'll finish up the season this way and decide which I prefer. I tried with and without the sway bar connected. A bit trickier without the bar connected in normal riding, but a bit easier to lean in deep pow. Steering pressure isn't a problem either way. Next I want to try lower gearing(17:45) to get low end grunt and hopefully improve track spin when sidehilling or pulling steep and deep.
The extensions definitely put more flat track on the ground. I measured the degree of the approach angle both ways and it doesn't change much. I compared it to my XP and it is actually less, so not sure why all the talk about how bad it is. Too bad the Phazer doesn't go where the XP can. Just not enough HP and more weight I suppose. No doubt the Phaser will outlast the Doo and any other brand with it's bulletproof four stroke and solid construction. After getting used to its quirks, it is an adequate, reliable ride. Don't expect to highmark with it.

justforfun said:
I went with set back and drop a couple of years ago when going from 144 to 153. 9 tooth drivers and stock 17:41 gears. Big improvement in deep snow, less trenching more stable ride, but hard to sidehill. I recently moved back to stock mounting position with extensions. I only have a couple of days on it so far, but it is not much difference. I'll finish up the season this way and decide which I prefer. I tried with and without the sway bar connected. A bit trickier without the bar connected in normal riding, but a bit easier to lean in deep pow. Steering pressure isn't a problem either way. Next I want to try lower gearing(17:45) to get low end grunt and hopefully improve track spin when sidehilling or pulling steep and deep.
The extensions definitely put more flat track on the ground. I measured the degree of the approach angle both ways and it doesn't change much. I compared it to my XP and it is actually less, so not sure why all the talk about how bad it is. Too bad the Phazer doesn't go where the XP can. Just not enough HP and more weight I suppose. No doubt the Phaser will outlast the Doo and any other brand with it's bulletproof four stroke and solid construction. After getting used to its quirks, it is an adequate, reliable ride. Don't expect to highmark with it.

I have a Phazer with Nytro 153 track and skid along with a Supercharger and I disagree about highmarking. Its for sale BTW.

justforfun said:

Did you notice any difference in ride quality with the skid set back vs. the rail extensions? I plan to still trail ride a little and an worried the moving the skid 3.5" back would put too much stress on the center shock and not transfer weight as well. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't put a lot of seat time with the extensions and stock position and half that time was towing a Doo home, so I can't really give a good comparison yet. I have had the 3 1/2" set back and 1" drop for two seasons and had no problems with it other than the usual Phazer bottoming out. Much better overall than the stock 144 for deep snow. I am trying the extensions because I have them and want to see if there is an advantage one way or the other. My other 153" Phazer has a custom tunnel with 4" setback, 7/8" drop and it is a trenching submarine. By the end of the season I hope to know the best set-up. The easiest thing to do is buy extensions, drop the track, bolt together, reinstall and ride with just a couple hours work, it will ride fine. If you have the time, tools and skills, the cheaper in parts way is build the rear brackets and drop and set back the skid. There will be a few hours to build nice brackets unless you are an experienced, well equipped fabricator plus the same time to re and re the track and skid. I didn't want to take a chance on stabbing the track, so added anti-stab wheels to the skid. If you have to buy a kit it will probably be more $$ than extensions. I have a parts machine, so made my own from spare bits.
This will work well too.

justforfun said:
I haven't put a lot of seat time with the extensions and stock position and half that time was towing a Doo home, so I can't really give a good comparison yet. I have had the 3 1/2" set back and 1" drop for two seasons and had no problems with it other than the usual Phazer bottoming out. Much better overall than the stock 144 for deep snow. I am trying the extensions because I have them and want to see if there is an advantage one way or the other. My other 153" Phazer has a custom tunnel with 4" setback, 7/8" drop and it is a trenching submarine. By the end of the season I hope to know the best set-up. The easiest thing to do is buy extensions, drop the track, bolt together, reinstall and ride with just a couple hours work, it will ride fine. If you have the time, tools and skills, the cheaper in parts way is build the rear brackets and drop and set back the skid. There will be a few hours to build nice brackets unless you are an experienced, well equipped fabricator plus the same time to re and re the track and skid. I didn't want to take a chance on stabbing the track, so added anti-stab wheels to the skid. If you have to buy a kit it will probably be more $$ than extensions. I have a parts machine, so made my own from spare bits.
This will work well too.

Phazer biggest issue with trenching is track approach angle. Try fixing that and test.

Back