• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Gap 4 bar sensor reading high

May work if Tial is plumbed in where factory waste gate is/was.

May work if Tial is plumbed in where factory waste gate is/was.
Tial gate is Teed into the stainless header right after the collector. Factory internal gate actuator is removed with the flapper forced shut. Shouldn't matter where the Tial is installed as long as its after the header collector and before the turbo housing.

Yes. I can see it says 4 bar enabled in the flasher. Also if it were set to read a 2 or 3 bar, amd a 4 bar were installed then the ecu indicated boost would be lower than the gauge, not higher.

Example :

If my tune is set to a 2 bar where 5v is 14 psi then now my 4 bar is installed, then at 14 psi the 4 bar would indicate approx half the voltage, not 1.4 times too much…

Did you measure what voltage the sensor is putting out? If the ECU is calibrated to a 4 bar sensor but for some reason the 4 bar is not putting out the right voltage range (bad ground, or noise) it could easily read wrong as far as the ECU is concerned. Directly measuring the output would be one way to eliminate the sensor as being the issue. (just a thought)

Tial gate is Teed into the stainless header right after the collector. Factory internal gate actuator is removed with the flapper forced shut. Shouldn't matter where the Tial is installed as long as its after the header collector and before the turbo housing.
By plumbed I meant vacuum lines, the tune was developed using an electronic 4 port solenoid to control the waste gate via the ECU.

By plumbed I meant vacuum lines, the tune was developed using an electronic 4 port solenoid to control the waste gate via the ECU.

Yes exactly I agree NYTurbo, I don't see adding a external wastegate working in the application of the 998 without the existing tuners incorporating it into a dedicated package and tuning the ECU to it.

As it stands now, the ECU system had to be cheated to operate over 16 lbs as I remember, hence why they are seeing a 1.4 lb difference I'm sure.

The 998 with the ECU controlling all operations of the turbo system including the BOV and boost control, can't function properly or like it should without re-working the ECU tunes for that hardware. Gone are the days of the old mechanical control systems we used to implement on the sleds.

If they can't program the ECU for the new hardware installed, I don't see it working and functioning like they expect or want in this case.

As it stands now, the ECU system had to be cheated to operate over 16 lbs as I remember, hence why they are seeing a 1.4 lb difference I'm sure.

The 998 with the ECU controlling all operations of the turbo system including the BOV and boost control, can't function properly or like it should without re-working the ECU tunes for that hardware. Gone are the days of the old mechanical control systems we used to implement on the sleds.

If they can't program the ECU for the new hardware installed, I don't see it working and functioning like they expect or want in this case.
That large turbo tune already has a 4 port mac valve plugged into the stock wastegate exhaust connector. This allows a 2 port internal gate to work with the large turbo tune. An external gate works just the same as the internal gate. The only thing that would change would maybe be the wastegate solinoid duty cycle. The external gate allows more flow than the stock gate can provide and allows me to run pump fuel on this tune with the high flowing cams.

Also I am seeing a 1.4x increase in boost pressure. Not 1.4psi. When the mechanical gauge is showing 12 the ecu is showing a steady 17. When the mechanical gauge hits 17, ecu hits 30 and goes into boost cut. I had attached screenshots showing this. I can’t even do a pull on the pow boost 17 psi tune without it cutting out
————

However I am asking why my sensor is not reading properly compared to my boost gauge…. Almost as tho it is scaled incorrectly. Wednesday I will be able to pressurize the seensor in-line with several boost gauges in order to show you the discrepancy I am seeing.

Once we can correct thr boost readings I can show you video of the stock ecu controlling the external gate.

Did you measure what voltage the sensor is putting out? If the ECU is calibrated to a 4 bar sensor but for some reason the 4 bar is not putting out the right voltage range (bad ground, or noise) it could easily read wrong as far as the ECU is concerned. Directly measuring the output would be one way to eliminate the sensor as being the issue. (just a thought)
This is my next step.

Yes thr tune is using a 4 port solinoid connected to a 2 port internal gate. I am simply using a 2 port external gate. They function the same.

Did you look at the map sensor reading in the other side of the throttle bodi s yet ? Should be available on your logs

Just looked back at your logs on original post. The boost map psi is read off a 2 bar map so will stop at 16-17 psi. . Your gauge is also tied in after the throttle bodies isn’t it ? I would think your good and the boost map should be close to each other

Last edited:

Back