• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Gearing Change

letitsnowmtx

Veteran
I was thinking about changing the stock mtx gears to give me a little more top end. I race the sled in stock 500' drag races on the flat and up hill. I was wondering what else would have to be done to the sled, if anything, and what kind of gains I could expect.

I have the stock track cut down to 1.25" which made a big difference in traction. I also have a barkers exhaust, pc3 and ignition module (not installed yet, I'm going to have to figure out how to program the ignition module), and 4 frogskins on the lid of the airbox. I weigh 210 without gear.

I noticed on my MTX with a 144 X 1.75" Back Country track no difference in top end 75 mph with gear change. 17/41 is stock and the 19/41 I tried and did not have the punch I was looking for. I would say gear up with smaller 121" track but a 144" track is still alot of fling compared to the 121". that being said I weigh 290 lbs with gear and am turning a big fan blade of a track. Depending on the length of what your doing a helix change for faster shift out may be the ticket. Send me a PM if you want to chat about it.

changing which way? I know in 500ft with the stock 17t gear I still had speed to spare but would rev out around the 600-700ft mark. The 17t should be good for 70mph GPS before hitting the rev limiter, a 19t is good for around 78mph fully revved out. Mine will pull the 19t gears to redline but it takes well over a 1/4 mile to get there on a hard pack road. You need to change the lower gear to a 45t if you want to go even steeper which requires a new chain also, that will only give you 61.5mph with a 1:1 drive ratio, or with machined clutched for more overdrive (0.9:1), bout' 68mph. Personally I plan on going back to a 17t gear and machining the clutches for more overdrive, which should allow 19t like top speed but keep the 17t torque.

17/45 tooth lower gear does fit I did it this past season. Just put both gears on at same time with chain around them and trim 1/8" off tab on idler to miss case. The chain that was ordered was wrong so I tried it anyway and it worked. Beat the dickens out of my with no issues.

In 350' 54 mph (on a radar gun) was my best run. That was with only the exhaust. I have to put on the pc3 and ignition module for next year. I will also have the clutches machined before next year. I beat out a 500cc sno pro in my first heat at the 500' hill climb, but the next heat the sled hesitated bad and I couldn't catch up. So I guess what I am saying is that I know I can make this sled really competitive in drag racing, and still have fun with it on the trail. I know I still have clutch work to do also, but I wanted to have gearing ready, so I wouldn't have to reclutch again.

Also a YVX secondary would be great with way more helix options like a 45 or 47 degree helix. Lower gearing would be better with taller helix. I have 9 tooth drivers and 17/45 gearing with YVX secondary with Hauck Roller and a 43 degree helix. The 43 degree helix with a roller is equal to a 47 degree helix and mine shifts like a rocket to 60 mph.

Back