• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Gearing

doober said:
Is it pretty easy to change gears in these? I have done them before on my Cat, I would assume it is about the same? It has reverse if that makes any difference.
Reverse doesn't matter, it's done in a seperate box on the jackshaft between the bulkhead sides. Just pull the brake caliper, e brake caliper and three bolts holding on the battery box. Snap ring pliers on the brake rotor and the bolts on the cover and you're in. If your sleds an '07, change the little "funnel" and the rubber gromett underneath it. They're located right in front of the top gear you can't miss it, one bolt holds it on, just don't over tighten. The funnel catches oil and feeds the reverse box, then the oil bleeds back into the chaincase through the upper bearing. The problem is the funnel isn't long enough on the '07's, and the result is the "mystery oil leak" that has frustrated many, the oil weeps down the inside of the bulkhead. Buy the two pieces from an '08 or newer,they're slightly longer, trust me!

This may be a silly question but how do you know what gear they put in the sled without pulling the chaincase cover? I bought my sled in calgary ab, so not quite at sea level. Is the 19 tooth something you have to ask for when buying? I always just assumed i had a 17 tooth. Lookin at a 151 track now and maybe a turbo later in the year.
thanks

grimis99 said:
This may be a silly question but how do you know what gear they put in the sled without pulling the chaincase cover? I bought my sled in calgary ab, so not quite at sea level. Is the 19 tooth something you have to ask for when buying? I always just assumed i had a 17 tooth. Lookin at a 151 track now and maybe a turbo later in the year.
thanks

What kind of phazer do you have? I am asking because they all come in different size gears.

The GT came with a 20T and the FX came with a 18T and the MTX came with the 17T

I have a 08 mtx, but people in this thread are saying that their mtx and mountain lite came with a 19 instead of 17. Probably just gonna have to pull cover unless someone knows another way.

It all depends where it was bought and how it was set up? 19 tooth for sealevel - 17 tooth for high elevation.

i bought my 17 top tooth from my dealer and it cost 75 bucks canadian , pretty expensive for how little it is , and your gonna have to change your clutching for that 17 top tooth , i got mine done from SMB , and i got a helix with rollors , should be a good upgrade this season

Back