• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

GPS mount

I mounted mine the same location.

Hope I love it as much on trail as I do in the garage.

I have had bar /tank area mounted maps before and I had a hard time to glance at it while moving on the trail. Hoping this is more like glancing at the gauges which my eyes can still do.

I went the easy way and bought an offset ball and used a screw to the right of the gauges.

Good job.

I just mounted Nuvi 50 using the handlebar ram mount on the dash. Stiffened it with some nice big fender washers on the underside. Ran a dedicated line from battery into the google bag.

Attachments

• IMG_2666.JPG
    IMG_2666.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 437
  • IMG_2667.JPG
    IMG_2667.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 438
  • IMG_2668.JPG
    IMG_2668.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 437
  • IMG_2670.JPG
    IMG_2670.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 439
This where I'll mount my Garmin Montana. With the short RAM arm, there's plenty of room to mount it between the dash and windshield.
Edit: That's also with using the landscape mode of the Montana.

GpsMount.JPG

IMG_2008.JPG

Last edited:
Here is how I mounted mine using a RAM mount. In this case I used the handle bar mount with an aluminum backing plate on the backside of the instrument housing. I've done this Mod on 3 different sleds.

Attachments

• IMG_0373.JPG
    IMG_0373.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 437
  • IMG_0368.JPG
    IMG_0368.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 438
  • Image 1.jpg
    Image 1.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 425
My buddy just gave me a Garmin Nuvi 2757 that he no longer uses. It has a 7" screen and would be perfect for my sled. Only problem is it's physical size @ 7.25" x 4.25". I can't find any available case online that would keep out the elements, as it's not weather resistant like my old 60 CSx.

Would any of you guys have an idea what could be used?

Thanks!

View attachment 135571

You might have to/want to look at something designed for a small tablet for a GPS that large. http://interphonewireless.com/7-tablet-mount-kit-for-tubular-handlebars/

:dunno:

True enough although I am not sure I want the wife figuring out how fast I am going at any given time. :)

I was more just lamenting the state of the industry. We have helmet comms that bridge rider to rider and can provide lots of cool info, we have satellite that will keep you covered everywhere, Phones that only work where there is a signal, etc... I just wish I had one device that was more of a weatherproof GPS mapping solution that paired with my phone and had an option for satellite ... but that's just me trying to not crowd the handlebars :)

I added a GPS receiver and it connects with my phone by bluetooth. I mounted a large aquabox on my handlebars and keep my phone and a silicone coated heater in it. Here is the only pic I have so far.
GPS receiver.jpg

I added a GPS receiver and it connects with my phone by bluetooth. I mounted a large aquabox on my handlebars and keep my phone and a silicone coated heater in it. Here is the only pic I have so far.View attachment 135583

I am looking at that general direction as well, using a bad-elf Pro+ externally (bluetooth) and my iPhone 7 plus. The only thing missing in that scenario is spoken directions. I can use the iPhone as a moving map which is good but... I am spoiled by routable maps from Garmin basecamp. If there was a garmin solution which ran on the iPhone and could use routable maps (basecamp user defined routes) then you could largely ignore the screen and keep the iPhone tucked away.

That or the 595Lm, those are my choices now.

I added a GPS receiver and it connects with my phone by bluetooth. I mounted a large aquabox on my handlebars and keep my phone and a silicone coated heater in it. Here is the only pic I have so far.View attachment 135583

What does the GPS receiver give you that you don't already have in the phone? GPS has been standard in phones for many years. Is it supposed to be more accurate?

My buddy just gave me a Garmin Nuvi 2757 that he no longer uses. It has a 7" screen and would be perfect for my sled. Only problem is it's physical size @ 7.25" x 4.25". I can't find any available case online that would keep out the elements, as it's not weather resistant like my old 60 CSx.

Thanks!

View attachment 135571

Those 7" Nuvi's are monsters. I am helping my buddy install that exact one on his MXZ-X. The Nuvi's are not weather resistant, but I have yet to have one fail from the exposure. The only reason I replaced the one on my Apex was that the wind broke the USB socket on the back. I zip tie the power cord now.

Do a search on Amazon or Walmart for Nuvi 2757 RAM or Cradle. You will find the perfect RAM cradle for it for around $10-$11. If you spend a little more you can get the cradle with a 1" ball and ram arm. I put a 1" ball on my riser, and a longer RAM arm to hold the cradle up near my riser pad.

I didn't want to put it up above the gauges. It's a perfect spot for viewing, but limited my access to the windshield bag.

Good luck!

What does the GPS receiver give you that you don't already have in the phone? GPS has been standard in phones for many years. Is it supposed to be more accurate?

The external units can be a lot more accurate both at speed and standing still. The phones also vary a lot in accuracy, some of them have highly variable GPS accuracy, the iPhone 6 is reportedly accurate to 10-12 meters, the iPhone 7 is far less accurate at times. The sampling on the phones are also pretty low so if all you want is rough estimations of speed and relatively accurate location a phone is going to be fine. Then there is sensitivity (ability to keep satellite lock), where that translates into real world problems is when you are in forested areas and canyons, the external units have much better receivers and the better ones support Glonass as well as GPS satellites so they are much less likely to lose connectivity and can be accurate to 1.5-2 meters and at very high rates of speed. The biggest problem is battery life. The iPhone or any cellular device is an expensive thing to have running from a power perspective. To run the GPS app you have to keep the phone 'awake' in order to receive GPS data. This is mostly because GPS protocols are very slow so you cannot aggressively enter sleep states while running. Think of faxing vs texting. To get data by fax you have to 'listen' constantly to a relatively slow data transfer rate for the entirety of the transmission. A text message comes through as a burst during the normal communications to the cell tower. This allows the phone to enter/exit sleep states very aggressively, conserving power. The dedicated GPS units can run all day, track with high accuracy, and are easy to sync to the computer when you get back from riding. But... everyone likes a pretty screen (including me) so its a tradeoff.

Phone GPS is from cell towers, not satellites and many places I ride have no cell coverage. The receiver gives me coverage anywhere.

Phone GPS is from cell towers, not satellites and many places I ride have no cell coverage. The receiver gives me coverage anywhere.

Actually, that may have been true on some phones, but not in any current phone. Cellular towers are one form of location based on triangulation. But a true GPS receiver is still in all phones and can be used with offline maps even with no towers present.

I use a true GPS for all the same reasons you guys are. Cell coverage and battery life. But they are a true GPS. Most mapping apps are programmed to use both GPS and Cellular triangulation as well as WiFi location when connected. Ever notice that your exact location inside a building is based on the location of an access point, as the phone has limited cell and gps signal.

All current phones have GPS chips (real ones) in the same way that they have accelerometers, digital compass, etc... its all about cost and tradeoffs. Any recent iPhone and I assume Samsung should work in offline mode (no signal at all) if you have offline maps. You can try this yourself, grab Polaris Ride Command which has a setting for offline map regions, you can add regions which will download the map to the phone and then you can turn on airplane mode on your phone and it will still work (or drive to where you have no signal but the former is an easier test). Your battery life will be very low if you do not have an external batter source.

Thanks!

View attachment 135571

Don't worry about the weather, these units take a lot of abuse. I've had mine out in snow storms and light rain. If it's getting too wet then I just put a plastic bag over it.
20160304_115242x.jpg

Back