• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Gps options?

I use a Garmin nuvi (5 inch screen) with a RAM mount. With a water proof case mounted to my handle bar extension. The screen just sits below the handle bar pad. Downloaded with VV mapping.

I’m using a ram mount with a Garmin nuvi 1390. I used Ram 9mm angled boot head adapter ball base (Part# RAM-B-272U) with a double socket arm to a ram specific gps mount.

AF19384E-D899-44B5-927B-70D9781B5B12.jpeg
22F3C5C9-4A24-41AE-ACB7-B9280D3229FA.jpeg

I recently acquired an 07 Apex and I am wondering what's everyone's opinions on mounting the GPS on the handlebars vs next to the cluster? The cluster looks really nice with it and the coverage from the shield and all it seems like a no brainer but I see an even split on mounting in one location to the other.

I just got a Nuvi 50 and the Ram cradle just need to get the right mount.

It's warmer down there out of the wind too. But I didn't care to block my cluster, or my windshield bag. I love that bag, it's soft inside and stays out of the elements. Same goes on the viper, that windshield bag is too valuable of space.

It's warmer down there out of the wind too. But I didn't care to block my cluster, or my windshield bag. I love that bag, it's soft inside and stays out of the elements. Same goes on the viper, that windshield bag is too valuable of space.
Yeah I don't have to worry about a tunnel bag, I would probably put it above or to the side of my cluster. I hear putting it on the bar is too close so I'll prob just mount it next to the cluster.

Mike

I put a RAM ball on the riser, and a long RAM arm so the GPS sits nearly on top of my handlebar pad. Sometimes with a Tekvest it may be tough to tip your head down, but it works for me. It would be better up at the gauge cluster for sure for that reason. It's working for me for the past few years.

I put a RAM ball on the riser, and a long RAM arm so the GPS sits nearly on top of my handlebar pad. Sometimes with a Tekvest it may be tough to tip your head down, but it works for me. It would be better up at the gauge cluster for sure for that reason. It's working for me for the past few years.

Good to know, I'm gonna test out a few things. My buddy got the same GPS and cradle so we may swap things around based on what fits where nicely.

I'm also wondering how long the 12v outlet is gonna work.

An reason for it to die? I had issues with the Garmin 12v plug coming out multiple times during a ride, so I wrapped it with electrical tape to add just a bit of diameter and it has worked well.

I had a number of years with GPS on my 2007 Apex and 12v outlet, and pushing 6500 on my XTX with 12v outlet. All good so far. Worst case, you buy the direct wire kit if it fails or replaced it

An reason for it to die? I had issues with the Garmin 12v plug coming out multiple times during a ride, so I wrapped it with electrical tape to add just a bit of diameter and it has worked well.

I had a number of years with GPS on my 2007 Apex and 12v outlet, and pushing 6500 on my XTX with 12v outlet. All good so far. Worst case, you buy the direct wire kit if it fails or replaced it

Good to know, thank you.

4104seDhCHL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg
I used this Ram mount . 2" round base and diamond top screw mount . Took windshield off and screwed the round base right behind the gauge cluster Then mounted a Garmin
IMG_1914.jpg
Nuvi 50lm I tried the Handle bar mount with the water proof case . It moved the cord around to much and it would loosen up in the back of the GPS and sometimes fall out so I would have to plug it back in. Its protected more in back of the windshield .

I used this Ram mount . 2" round base and diamond top screw mount . Took windshield off and screwed the round base right behind the gauge cluster Then mounted a GarminView attachment 143634 Nuvi 50lm I tried the Handle bar mount with the water proof case . It moved the cord around to much and it would loosen up in the back of the GPS and sometimes fall out so I would have to plug it back in. Its protected more in back of the windshield .

Holy crap amazing. I am so doing this. Thank you DG. When I get the parts and the install is done I will post pictures.

Once again thank you guys I really appreciate the input.

Mike

Either use a twist tie or a zip tie to strap down the power cord to the cradle. That way any movement of the cord will stop at the zip tie and not at the USB port on the back of the GPS. This will allow that USB port to last a bit longer.

Good luck!

I used this Ram mount . 2" round base and diamond top screw mount . Took windshield off and screwed the round base right behind the gauge cluster Then mounted a GarminView attachment 143634 Nuvi 50lm I tried the Handle bar mount with the water proof case . It moved the cord around to much and it would loosen up in the back of the GPS and sometimes fall out so I would have to plug it back in. Its protected more in back of the windshield .

Do you have a Ram part# for the mount? And how does the triangle connect to the Cradle? I have a garmin nuvi. And want to put mine in the same spot on my 16 Vector. I just got the VV mapping for it.
Thanks

What you do is search the RAM website for your model Garmin. That will give you the cradle model you need.

From there, all the cradles have the diamond pattern mount holes already on them. Or you buy the kits, which include the cradle, 1" ball with diamond mount, one short RAM arm and your choice of other 1" ball. Either another diamond, 2" plate, or U-bolt for handlebars. Any of the components can be purchased ala carte` as well. So start with the cradle and go from there. You will not be using the cradle that came with the Garmin.

Snorunner, which Garmin Nuvi do you have?

Garmin
What you do is search the RAM website for your model Garmin. That will give you the cradle model you need.

From there, all the cradles have the diamond pattern mount holes already on them. Or you buy the kits, which include the cradle, 1" ball with diamond mount, one short RAM arm and your choice of other 1" ball. Either another diamond, 2" plate, or U-bolt for handlebars. Any of the components can be purchased ala carte` as well. So start with the cradle and go from there. You will not be using the cradle that came with the Garmin.

Snorunner, which Garmin Nuvi do you have?

Garmin Nuvi 2598. I found the cradle for it on Rams site last week. The mount they were selling with the cradle looked too short. But I could have just bought the cradle. I picked up the Garmin for $30 at Pawn America its 2 years old.

Back