• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

GPS Tracker question

mr. bwok

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 sr viper ltx
I am curious to hear what people are using for GPS trackers on their trailers or sleds? My trailer stays loaded all winter and I curious about the extra security of GPS tracking if my trailer/sleds are stolen.

I've been using the SPOT Trace for the last 5 years and it works fine. It gives me peace of mind knowing that I can easily locate where my trailer is. There is an annual fee charged for the service. If the wheels on your trailer have enough room to slip a chain through them, it's one more piece of added security. You can't move the trailer if the wheels can't turn.

I am curious to hear what people are using for GPS trackers on their trailers or sleds? My trailer stays loaded all winter and I curious about the extra security of GPS tracking if my trailer/sleds are stolen.
stay out of Canada and you're probably safe from theft.

could always hide an apple tile in each sled. i have thought about it.

could always hide an apple tile in each sled. i have thought about it.
I thought the same, but read this in the site
The Tile itself does not use GPS. Your Tile needs to be within the standard Bluetooth range of a device that has location services in order to communicate its location to the app

Hard to stay out of Canada considering I live here.
sorry about that, but from what I've read and heard sleds are sometimes stolen up there but it can happen anywhere for sure. Protection from that is insurance

On saddlebag trips in Canada 10-15 years ago I met two different groups who were reporting the theft of sleds, gear, and in one instance, the truck and trailer from a secured parking area. We never had any issues ourselves, but we were riding Polaris sleds, so they probably weren't worth stealing.

That having been said, I don't want anyone stealing my Yamahas, so I would be interested in the original post, and anyone's thoughts on using GPS trackers for sleds or trailers.

Also interested in this thread.
As i get older, my equipment is getting nicer & FAR more expensive.
Buds' truck just got stolen minutes from me and we live in farm country.

Just looked up Spot Trace.
Looks like different plans.
$10 a month or $12.00 for monthly if it's seasonal. So $36 for winter. I think there's a start up fee also.
Is that per unit? Or is there a plan for multiple units.
I may call them today.

Just looked up Spot Trace.
Looks like different plans.
$10 a month or $12.00 for monthly if it's seasonal. So $36 for winter. I think there's a start up fee also.
Is that per unit? Or is there a plan for multiple units.
I may call them today.

That is consistent with the Garmin InReach plan I have; it is a GPS with satellite texting capability so that you are always "in reach" for communication. They have a monthly plan, and then additional fees for any overage from texting, as well as tracking. I think having a tracking device in your trailer makes a lot of sense in today's world!

That is consistent with the Garmin InReach plan I have; it is a GPS with satellite texting capability so that you are always "in reach" for communication. They have a monthly plan, and then additional fees for any overage from texting, as well as tracking. I think having a tracking device in your trailer makes a lot of sense in today's world!
unfortunately, very true...I always lock my ramp and sled even when it's on the truck..fortunately it seems like there are camera's everywhere so thieves can be caught in the act. Joe

Back