• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

grinding in reverse

blue sled

i have an 07 apex er at 1200 miles it sometimes does not go in to reverse and makes a grinding gear spinning sound is it an adj. or take it to the dealer 4 hours away the dealer close to me said it could be from dealer set up and warrenty might not cover it they get $89 an hour some times it works . the shaft on the gear box moves in and outabout a 16th. of and inch. just started doing this so i stop riding it.

mine did the same thing,pop right panel off,and adj the linkages.never had a problem since.your fine if you go fwd.make sure your chain tension is good before you start!!

thanks

its fine going foward thanks i will try to adj. it . adj top linkage or the bottom linkage? thanks

I had the same problem at about the same time. The linkage is out of adjustment slightly. In my case the shifting fork was worn and needed to be replaced. The chaincase cover has to come off to be sure.

reverse adjustment

Adjusting Step 1 - Upper Linkage
Loosen locknuts and set the length between the locknuts to 27 mm
Tighten locknuts

Adjusting Step 2- Rear Lower Linkage
Loosen locknuts
Turn the threaded adjuster to decrease distance between locknuts
until freeplay is removed, then turn threaded adjuster back 1/4 turn.
Tighten locknuts

Adjusting steps as per Yamaha Tech Tips

Re: reverse adjustment

Shiek said:
Adjusting Step 1 - Upper Linkage
Loosen locknuts and set the length between the locknuts to 27 mm
Tighten locknuts

Adjusting Step 2- Rear Lower Linkage
Loosen locknuts
Turn the threaded adjuster to decrease distance between locknuts
until freeplay is removed, then turn threaded adjuster back 1/4 turn.
Tighten locknuts

Adjusting steps as per Yamaha Tech Tips

this adjustment work's awesome, the reverse is picky, but if you do this to spec it will be right on ;)!

Back