• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Headlight Adjustment Help Needed

tryanATTAK

Expert
I did a search on headlight adjustment and every post said to take the top cover off and turn the phillips head screw. Ok, I have the top off as I just changed my oil and chaincase lube and did the reverse adjustment ( great tip by the way) but I do not see any phillips head screw or any screw for that matter. The owners manual shows vaguely where it should be but I can not find it and I did the search but did not see any pics just the verbage I stated above. So could someone please tell me in detail where to find this screw and post pics if you have them. Also what is up with the clips falling off and falling down into the land of no return, looks like I better stock up on these #$%&* clips ( fast nuts ). I lost two of them and one is stripped so bad I can't reuse it. I'm starting to see some real bad design issues with this sled. Gene :o|

don't have an answer for you , but was wondering what the rev adjustment tip was. Thanks, Honk

I use a long phillips screwdriver, longest one craftsman sells. Don't remove anything. A LONG screwdriver can reach the adjuster screw by inserting it on the right side of the handlebar stem, below the chrome cover at the bottom of the riser block.

Using a flashlight, if you get down by the seat and gas tank, looking below the chrome steering stem cover (on the right side) & the tank cover, you can see the back side of the headlight housing & you'll see a hex bolt with a phillips screw head just right of the middle. Be patient, & you won't have to remove a thing.

Snowman269 said:
I use a long phillips screwdriver, longest one craftsman sells. Don't remove anything. A LONG screwdriver can reach the adjuster screw by inserting it on the right side of the handlebar stem, below the chrome cover at the bottom of the riser block.

Using a flashlight, if you get down by the seat and gas tank, looking below the chrome steering stem cover (on the right side) & the tank cover, you can see the back side of the headlight housing & you'll see a hex bolt with a phillips screw head just right of the middle. Be patient, & you won't have to remove a thing.
Great idea! I have always adjusted it after I had everything apart. As far as the clips falling off go I just put a little silicone on the bottom of the clip and reinstall them. It keeps them in place for me.

Wow, silicone, that makes sense. Does it matter if it's high temp or not?

Honk said:
don't have an answer for you , but was wondering what the rev adjustment tip was. Thanks, Honk
Honk here ya go ,Adjusting Step 1 - Upper Linkage
Loosen locknuts and set the length between the locknuts to 27 mm
Tighten locknuts

Adjusting Step 2- Rear Lower Linkage
Loosen locknuts
Turn the threaded adjuster to decrease distance between locknuts
until freeplay is removed, then turn threaded adjuster back 1/4 turn.
Tighten locknuts

Adjusting steps as per Yamaha Tech Tips. took care of mine hits reverse every time easily now. Gene :rocks:

Thanks Attak, I've been on this site for nearly five years and have never heard that tip before. is this good for the Apexs RX-1s and Warriors. Were they coming wrong from the factory, or just needing adjustment from using? Thanks, Honk

Honk, I honestly don't know the answer to your question. I was having issues getting my 07 Attak into reverse quite a bit so I started searching for some fixes and found the post under frequently asked questions forum. Tork is the poster so maybe pm him and ask. It was posted 2/03/06 so I am assuming it is probably good for at least the 2005's. Good luck, on the info.

Those instructions for reverse adjustment worked on my 07 Attak...was poorly adjusted from the day I picked it up...did procedure above and it now works perfect.

As for the headlamp adjustment screw...it's right on the back of the headlight, not too hard to find. I never tried it with a long screwdriver, but I know it's easy to reach with a normal length screwdriver if you just have the top cover off...nothing more.

If memory serves: It's actually a hex head bolt (maybe 10mm or 12 mm?) with a phillips bit cutout in the middle. Can use a wrench or a phillips to turn it. Gold in color I think.

Never lost or stripped a clip...all work just like new, and I had the sled torn down many times this year for various reasons, usually oil changes and accessory installation...so I'm not sure what the problem is there, other than just go slow and be careful.

Hope some of this info helps a little.

Wow, silicone, that makes sense. Does it matter if it's high temp or not?

You will do something once you find out how much Yami charges for those "slip on, strip out" pieces of metal. Hi temp not required. Suspect any auto store could provide the same part at a reasonable price. Another "goody" are the nylon washers under your twist screws that hold on the side panels. Inside one holds fastner in place so doesn't fall out when unlocked. Over $2. each!

craze1cars said:
Those instructions for reverse adjustment worked on my 07 Attak...was poorly adjusted from the day I picked it up...did procedure above and it now works perfect.

As for the headlamp adjustment screw...it's right on the back of the headlight, not too hard to find. I never tried it with a long screwdriver, but I know it's easy to reach with a normal length screwdriver if you just have the top cover off...nothing more.

If memory serves: It's actually a hex head bolt (maybe 10mm or 12 mm?) with a phillips bit cutout in the middle. Can use a wrench or a phillips to turn it. Gold in color I think.

Never lost or stripped a clip...all work just like new, and I had the sled torn down many times this year for various reasons, usually oil changes and accessory installation...so I'm not sure what the problem is there, other than just go slow and be careful.

Hope some of this info helps a little.
Actually I did take my time doing it, as soon as the screws came out and before i even moved the top cover, I heard something falling, and when i pulled the cover off the clips were of course not there. If it is the hex head screw, thats why I couldn't find it, as i was looking for a regular phillips screw. Thanks, Gene

Another quick and easy way to adjust the headlight that doesn't require anything beyond what comes in the Yamaha tool kit and your emergency flashlight:

- remove the left (PTO) side panel
- take a flashlight and shine it through the "triangular hole" just to the left of the gas tank and look for the 10mm nut with the philips drive on the back side of the headlight.
- take the 10mm wrench from the toolkit and reach in through the triangular hole to turn the adjuster nut.

Once you figure out exactly where the adjuster is you don't need the flashlight anymore - just pop off the side panel and reach in to adjust the light.

BTW, tightening the nut lowers the headlight; loosening it raises the headlight.

Back