• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Headlight on 2005 Rage

yamaha1

Lifetime Member
I just picked up my 2005 holdover Rage and when I started it up at home the headlight did not come on right away. Didn't really notice at first but then about 5 min. later it came on and I realized it. I started it later that night and it did the samething. Has anyone else had this problem or have any idea what it might be?

yamaha1 said:
I just picked up my 2005 holdover Rage and when I started it up at home the headlight did not come on right away. Didn't really notice at first but then about 5 min. later it came on and I realized it. I started it later that night and it did the samething. Has anyone else had this problem or have any idea what it might be?
Mine has done that before ...I dont know if its normal or its something in the system that helps the charging system out when battery is weak ? You might want to mention it to your dealer then maybe we will both know for sure.

I did mention to my dealer. They had never heard of that happening to anyone. They just told me to ride it and get some miles on it and if it keeps happening let them know and we will try to figure it out. I am just worried that it will do the opposite some time and turn off while riding.

If memory serves, the headlight as well as the gauges do in fact stay off for a period of time at startup but 5 minutes seems a bit much. I suspect that Yama-Crazy is on the right track in that it has to do with the battery condition.

The good news is that we've seen this discussed here on TY but to the best of my knowledge and recollection we haven't seen posts about the headlight shutting off while riding.
:rocks:

I'm pretty sure this is normal with a cold engine, has something to do with conserving the batt. juice until the sled has warmed. I'm sure someone else will chime in to confirm but I had this happen last year and it was no big deal. I see that SS has beat me on the reply...no worries!

yamaha1 said:
Thanks for the feedback guys. I am not going to worry about it too much until I get some more miles on.

Get a good charge on the battery - I've found that my Vector can do some weird things if the battery is a little low on juice. I keep the machine on a float charger all the time when it's sitting in the garage. That continuous float charging is good for the battery (prevents sulfation) and promotes its longevity. And since electric start is the ONLY practical way to get that machine started, the condition of the battery (and it's rate of self discharge) is EXTREMELY important IMHO.

Float charge is good & prevent sulfate build-up on negative plate but don't exceede 2.45 volt per cell... then you get oxidation on the positive plate and this is even worst.

As for the No Lights Show, this happened twice to me last season. Both condition was after an extended stop at night around 35 below; then the engine would have difficulty to crank. Once started..... no lights for 30 sec to a minute. I buy the theory of low volts = no accessory since the master relay is controlled by the ECU..

Really, this would be to protect the magneto since the battery eat it all during these low volts condition. If this the case then it also means that it is very well designed. This let me to remember as well that someone said here that the passenger's hand warmer relay only close when the engine rev above the 3000 rpm mark.

Yamaha1, wait till you get a good 100+ ride to make sure you pump that battery up. Then, if ever your sled does that on you again (at normal condition) get to the dealer... let them change the weak part..... and this is not necessarely the battery...

Yamaha1, this is normal and just to prove it I left my sled out in the cold last night -10f and sure enough no headlight or gauges until the sled warmed up. This never happens when I put it in the garage.

Back