• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

hello nytro xtx good bye 08 skidoo 800r

colecoin

Extreme
I just sold my 2008 renegade 800r. I had more trouble with that sled that you could imagine. I hope my nytro holds up alot better. I just bought an 09 xtx. I could use some advice on setting up my suspension and also skis. I had the dealer upgrade the front shocks to Fox Evol's. I also had mountain cables installed so I can use my Rox adjustable riser. I just got my slydog installation kit for my powder hounds. I am 6 feet tall 260 with no gear on. I know how to tune suspensions and could use a good starting point. I am a very aggressive trail rider. My next question is should I shim my skis? I have Bergstrom triple points with 1/4 ski savers. what size shims would be recommended. If anyone want any input on the rev xp chassis I can tell you all sorts of bad things about those doos I mean don't buy one. I traded my 07 attack for one and regret it. [/url]

Use the 3/8" shims. I have 8" on the stock skis and it's awesome. No darting at all... Set your floats at around 60PSI and go up or down from there. You probably will have to re-valve/spring the front of the rear skid the rear shock. Add the rear torsion springs spacers from Hygear. This will allow the sled to use the full use of the rear torsion springs. Make those adjustments and then tell us what it is doing from there..

colecoin said:
3/8 shims in the rear?? Do you think a stiffer spring in the rear skid shock?

3/8" shims on the bottom back portion of ski rubber....

Your probilly going to need stiffer springs in the rear. I have the hygear x package,with the spacers and i weigh the same as you,and I'm bottoming on the g's bad. I going to get some apex springs out of a rtx and trim the 3 inches off the long wire to make them work.
I think the hygear springs on the stock shocks is the hot setup for cornering on these sleds.
With those evo's did you get the high and low speed compression adjusters?

berge75 said:
Your probilly going to need stiffer springs in the rear. I have the hygear x package,with the spacers and i weigh the same as you,and I'm bottoming on the g's bad. I going to get some apex springs out of a rtx and trim the 3 inches off the long wire to make them work.
I think the hygear springs on the stock shocks is the hot setup for cornering on these sleds.
With those evo's did you get the high and low speed compression adjusters?

Did you call Hygear to tell them your concern? If so, what did they say? If not, maybe you should, just to see what that have to say about it..... :)

I did get the Evol's with the hi/low compression adjustments. I gave the dealer 600 bucks to upgrade them. Do you think that was a good deal.

Did you call Hygear to tell them your concern? If so, what did they say? If not, maybe you should, just to see what that have to say about it..... :)[/quote]

I've spent hours talking to hygear, and Ross tells me this suspension has a very narrow window, and I shouldn't expect it to do everything well. It's in the geometry of the skid. It's a different tune than what they where telling me before I spent $1250.I sent the shocks out without ever riding the stock set up,so I don't know what my gains where,but I did ride another bone stocker and it rode softer over the smaller stuff,but I didn't take it through any big stuff. They said they would try to adjust the valving, but I don't have 2 or 3 weeks to wait for the shocks to get done . I would like to try some stiffer torsion spings before I send them back. i'm not totally disapointed,this sled handles the corners better than the new xp's , and that's awsome considering how tippy these things are stock. I can handle a stiffer ride, but not if it's going to bottom alot.

colecoin said:
I did get the Evol's with the hi/low compression adjustments. I gave the dealer 600 bucks to upgrade them. Do you think that was a good deal.

Hell yah. I had evo's on my race quad,and that's the way to go if your going to run air shocks. You can adjust the amount of roll in the corners with the hi/low comp. adjuster, and you should be able to run lower in the front and use the evo camber to eliminate bottoming.
Maybe some time we could hook up on a ride do a little comparing.

Instead of shimming on the Nytro, I turn the rubbers around. It gives it the prefect amount of shimming effect.

I am heading up North next week if all goes well. If anyone needs to rent a really nice place I rent mine. My web site is www.colecabin.com I do need to get my studs in. I going with stud boys I think 171 down the middle. What do you think?

Back