• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Helmet Communicators choices

I'll have to retract that statement. It looks like SENA 20S is the unit I'm going to have my eye on now :dunno:
Just got the Sena 20S (dual pack) $399 Motorcycle Superstore.com. My Modular 2 helmet doesn't technically have speaker "pockets" but they slip in between the liner without any severe modification - where they'll end-up is anyone's guess though. I WILL have to get a heated shield to dump the mask, or at $150, I may just jump over to the FXR Torque-X electric shield setup?? Looks like it has good FOV anyway but going to miss that sun-shield. So far, they work well in the house but WILL NOT work with that infamous BRP mask. Having VOX commands is very nice. It also paired with my GSII with the SENA app quite easily, and the clarity is amazing. PLUS your music fades to the background when you use the intercom, then returns without missing a beat. I'm hopeful it's just what my daughter and I need to stay in contact. Another feature I really like about them is their claimed universal compatibility with other bluetooth headsets on the market, and the ability to update the firmware (which may help solve future pairing issues with newer devices). I will get some use on them, and report back later.

Tried the communicators today: Worked PERFECTLY with the new FXR Torque-X (e-shield), in the short time we rode. Listened to the radio, and talked with my daughter totally hands-free, no fidgeting. Only problem I had was my heated shield cable kept hitting the phone button. The Sena 20S is amazing. No static, interference, or other riders cutting in on the comms. Needs some longer testing for range and overall versatility - we had to turn-around cause the sled started acting-up (coolant leak):o|

I have used thr Collett Communicators since 2000 ( old 900's ) bought a pair of Collett Racefone 2 for this season. So far they perform as well as the old set. I bought the flexible wired mic version not the boom mic and have them mounted on modular helmets, easy to install and with the adjustable vox you can tune each unit to the background noise individually, I have used other communicators on my motorcycle with bluetooth and found that as soon as someone lifted his faceshield the speakers were filled with road noise and the communication channel was open and unuseable until buddy put his shield down ( one way one person communication only with BT ) thr range was short ( 1/4 mile in site with some cars between us ) range with the colletts was at least 1/2 mile, all and all I am for Collett

Nothing is perfect as much as I wanted it to be...The Sena 20S seems to have a bad reputation for randomly shutting off after a few minutes, seconds, etc... I missed that part. I'm hoping Sena will address the problem. Their M.O. is to replace the defective unit, but in the mean time - my daughter liked it for the ability to listen to her music at least.

That's a definitive "NO" on the Sena 20S. Sena sent a replacement, but the other unit got all flaky on me while trying to listen to music. I sent them all back. It's too bad - the 20S had some really cool features that might work well as long as the temps are above freezing. Also looked at Cardo Scala units and inquired with Cardo as to what they recommend for snowmobiling and they said they don't have anything. Not really keen on the Uclear, but if it will work down to 0*F with the windchill @ 60 MPH I could overlook its shortfalls.

We use Sena SMH-10 on HJC helmets. The have been to - temps wit no problems. Charge last 8-10 hours on continuos . Works great, just tuck boom up inside helmet.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Back