• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Helmets and Speed

johnboy

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
21 SR Viper LTX DX
Yesterday while riding I came upon a crash only a minute from when it occurred. A 17 yr old who was riding with a group of people left the trail, hit a sign on a 4x4 post snapping it in two and then hit several trees. Her helmet was not adjusted correctly and came flying off at first impact and was not on when she left the sled and hit the tree. She was knocked unconscious for several minutes and suffered head, neck and upper body trauma and injuries. I called for help and then proceeded to do c-spine and triage until help arrived which was about 45 minutes. I wish she would have had her helmet on correctly and I also wish she was going a safe speed for her ability. Anyhow, it was a good reminder to make sure that you buckle your helmet tight before riding. I felt bad for her relatives who had to watch their loved one go thru such pain. Good news, is that when I last checked I think she will be okay in the long run.

Be safe.

Yesterday while riding I came upon a crash only a minute from when it occurred. A 17 yr old who was riding with a group of people left the trail, hit a sign on a 4x4 post snapping it in two and then hit several trees. Her helmet was not adjusted correctly and came flying off at first impact and was not on when she left the sled and hit the tree. She was knocked unconscious for several minutes and suffered head, neck and upper body trauma and injuries. I called for help and then proceeded to do c-spine and triage until help arrived which was about 45 minutes. I wish she would have had her helmet on correctly and I also wish she was going a safe speed for her ability. Anyhow, it was a good reminder to make sure that you buckle your helmet tight before riding. I felt bad for her relatives who had to watch their loved one go thru such pain. Good news, is that when I last checked I think she will be okay in the long run.

Be safe.

Great Advice... I am so glad she is going to be ok.

Be safe.

Good job you were there as it sounds like you know what you are doing. What exactly is "C spine" and "Triage"? Is that where you mobilize the casualty as to help protect against further damage?

Glad to hear she is going to be ok! When I read her helmet came off, I was thinking this was going to end up being a sad read.

Irv, when I first rolled up and checked the scene out, I thought the same thing about it not ending on a good note. And yes, C-spine is just keeping the head and neck mobilized as much as possible. Because when she became conscious she was complaining of major back, head and upper body pain along with some numbness. I used gloves and packed snow under and along the sides of her head, I then held her head between my forearms. Triage to me is simply just attending to possible serious injuries such as serious blood loss, major broken bones and monitoring any serious breathing and cardiac issues. There are probably official terms for this stuff, but this is what I learned in basic first aid.

Last edited:
Irv, when I first rolled up and checked the scene out, I thought the same thing about it not ending on a good note. And yes, C-spine is just keeping the head and neck mobilized as much as possible. Because when she became conscious she was complaining of major back, head and upper body pain along with some numbness. I used gloves and packed snow under and along the sides of her head, I then held her head between my forearms. Triage to me is simply just attending to possible serious injuries such as serious blood loss, major broken bones and monitoring any serious breathing and cardiac issues. There are probably official terms for this stuff, but this is what I learned in basic first aid.

Good job Johnboy, and good thing you were there to assist/stabilize her!

I also have basic as well as emergency first aid training through work, which is the St. John's Ambulance training/certificate as well as being Trainer qualified for my son's hockey team.

So far, touch wood, I haven't had to use much of what I have learned through the years, but it is comforting knowing I have what I have.

Sometime, coming up soon, I will be going for re qualification training and I am looking forward to it as imo, once every 3 yrs is not enough to remember/retain everything that is taught.

Take care

Irvin

Be safe.[/QUOTE

Be safe.
Thank you for helping this person. Let us know if she's ok.

Well done johnboy...kudos to you and she was fortunate to have you on the scene.

Was she out alone?

Back