• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hifax wear 2007 Apex Mtn

foster

Newbie here to this forum. I own a 2007 Apex Mtn and have 160 miles on it and my hifaxes are worn out. Can anyone give me a good explanation of why this would be happening. I have checked my track tension and it is as loose as I feel that I can run it without it ratcheting. Of the 160 miles that I currently have I probably only have about
35 - 45 miles of trail riding. But I have tried to get into powder every chance that I could.
I talked to the mechanics at the dealership where I bought the sled and they pretty much told me that this was normal and I call BS on this especially at 160 miles.

The mechanics told me that Yamaha would change the hifaxes only once, because these are wear items, so they told me that they would take off the cost of the oem hifaxes from the cost of a pair of hyperfaxes and install them too.

But my questions is am I going to have the same problem with the hyperfaxes that I am having with the hifaxes, I don't want to have to change the hyperfaxes or hifaxes after every 160 miles.

Other than the hifax problem, this sled is great and the more I ride that more I like riding it.

Hi welcome to the forum. I noticed you posted on Snowest.

Like everyone said there....you have to have scratchers.

It's due to the weight, lug height and length. It's the nature of the beast but a GOOD BEAST. ;)!

Dont get too excited about changing the hyfax just yet. Watch it carefully and you will notice that the wear will just stop and stay there forever. I changed mine right away as I thought the same as you well the second ones wore down just as quick and stopped in the exact same place as the first set. I now have 2000 miles on the second set and I do lots of trail riding with my 04 mountain. So just watch them and ride her. Mine wear almost right to the wear line stop and seem to just stay there. I just finished riding with a guy who has a 07 Apex mountain his are worn down too at 200 miles he now has 500 miles on it and no more wear. Yours will do the same.

Thanks for the info. Sled Dog. We did seven days of hard riding....almost 1000kms. From crap snow to 4 feet feet of fluff. One guy commented at about 500kms that they were 3/4's woreout. I never really paid attention...I had always changed every 12-1500kms on my RX1 mtn. But you are right they seem to still be about 75% worn out. I'll monitor it and see what happens.
07 Apex mtn SE

I am looking into buying a set of ice scratchers.

I still want to know am I going to have this same problem with the
hyperfaxes.

I was told from the dealer that is also because of the way the rails curve up in the back for the wear in the middle of the rails.

How come the other brands do not seem to have this problem?

slides

they probaly have there wheels positioned.If you run hyperfax with no ice scrathers yes you will have a problem.I got about 160 miles on my 07 we had to ride a lot of trails toi get to the powder and y hyfax are prewtty much gone because I didn't get ice scrathers yet.The way the apex mtn rails a re designed oce they get way down they will keep wearing on a short track sled they slow down the wearing once you get to a point.Make shure you don't wear the m through to the rails.

Hyfaxes, hifaxes, slides, sliders, runners, whatever you want to call them, there seems to be a major issue with wear on any sled with the Ripsaw track that is clipped only every 3rd rib and has the closed window every other window. In other words you have a clipped rib, open window, non-clipped rib, closed window, non-clipped rib, open window. Supposedly the closed window was to catch snow but all it did was rub against the slide, heat it up and build up plastic on the closed window.

There seems to be 5 solutions that have been posted.

1. Put on low snow wheels and add additional idler wheels. This can be expensive and if Yamaha made a decent idler wheel (whole other issue), this could be a long term fix.

2. Cut out the closed windows and clip all the ribs. This is very time consumming and prone to mistakes and somewhat expensive but it works and is a long term fix.

3. SLP anti-wear pads. Cheap, $30. Easy, 2 hours of labor. They work. I put them on my '05 Rs Venture at the beginning of this year and have put on 1700 miles and have only worn off 1.5mm of hifax. The Venture atarts with 18.5mm of hifax and has a wear limit of 10.5mm giving me 8mm of usable hifax. Last year after 1700 miles I had worn off 6mm. Based on this year's rate of wear with the pads, my hifax should last 9,000 miles - SWEEET. One problem with these is that the pads themselves wear, don’t know how long they’ll last but for the price and time to do it, won’t mind replacing them once in a while.

4. Change out the Yamaha idler wheels and put on oversized Poo/Doo wheels. You have to machine the mounts because of different sized bearings but this works and is a long term fix.

5. Be patient, let them wear all the way down. Get a pair of calipers and measure the actual wear. The Venture hyfaxes start off with 18.5mm (top to bottom), manual says wear limit is 10.5mm, giving you 8mm of wear. The first 4mm melted off in 450 miles. At this point you get really nervous and want to change them out but then a switch gets turned on and they quit melting. MM 5 lasted for 450 miles. MM 6 lasted for 500 miles. MM 7 lasted for 830 miles and still half of it to go. I put on 3000 miles ‘04/05 season. And that was the end of the season. I would have loved to seen what that last 1.5mm would have lasted but I'm putting a new set on for the next season. Most people think that the slides just get conditioned, I believe they just become thin enough so that the rails start acting as heat sinks and dissipate enough heat to keep them from melting. That last 1.5mm just may have lasted this whole next season. Having said all this I still hate being nervous about them and decided to use the anti-wear pads.

Boys, don't hold your breath, get some piece of mind and go with solution 3.

Starting Line Products 208-529-0244
http://www.startinglineproducts.com/
Part # 25-102 Anti-Wear Pad Kit 40 Pak (other packs available)
Part# 20-160 Track drill 1/4"

Pics -
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=

Look at this thread -
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=

track

maddoggjeff the the apex mtn's have all open window's because they have antiratachet 3 pitch drivers.The tracks are 2 1/4" lugs 162"x16" so your slp pads won't wotk these are mtn sleds where talking about.

Just buy some ice scrathers and you will be fine.Thear is some guys that switched to hyperfax but like I said earlier there a waste if you don't get the ice scrathers.

I agree with you and have stated this before that the sliders get so thin that the aluminum rails act like heat sinks sucking up the heat up and away from the slide stopping the melting and wearing in its tracks. Mine is a 04 mountain with 3500 miles on it. I changed the slides once early in the mileage. The second set of slides has at least 2500 miles on them and no clipping, slp pads, wheel kit or special hyfax. I have about 2mm wear left and it has been there since about 200 miles after I installed the second set. I use this sled on Manitoba TY trail rides where most of the riding is on groomed trail.

foster said:
twest, I will check those drivers tonight. What do you mean deformed?

The teeth that are on the outside driver will get mushroomed,if you run your track to loose these teeth will take all the force and get hot and will melt.if you slides wore that fast their is a good chance these teeth are destroyed.

I just noticed the same thing when I inspected my sled after my first week of riding it. I have 422 miles on it. So I just read this thread and if I'm understanding you guys I have nothing to worry about.

What about if it looks like one side wore faster and in one spot more?

Back