• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

HOW ARE YOU GOING TO KEEP THE BLACK ON THE TUNNEL??

welterracer

TY 4 Stroke God
I know 3M makes some clear vinyl! I will be adding it to the tunnel, to keep the black paint on!

It comes in various sizes and can be trimmed to any size..

just something i wanted to pass on!!

I'm not sure what the fuss is unless Yamaha uses cheaper paint than Doo does. All my MachZ's had black tunnels and the only place they wore was where my feet were. That was an easy fix, I simply put rubber footwell mats on from Doo.

I had a 95 zr 700 that had a black tunnel... and i wore all the black of the the foot well area and the sides were i sometimes put my feet!

Woulnt you like to slow down the process?

All of my Yami sleds up thru 99 had painted tunnels. On every one of them some paint wore off. Usually about the size of a digital video tape where the side of my boot hit the tunnel, a 6 inch strip on the edge of the tunnel where it curls around and various coin sized spots on the fat part.

Brian, you have a very good idea with the mylar. You used to see a lot of this sort of thing on german cars in the 80's and 90's. Clear mylar on the lower fenders just in front or behind the wheel openings.

Of course I would like to slow the process which is why I asked the question about whether Yamaha used a less durable paint than Doo. A few of my buddies had Polaris sleds the time I had my Doo's and their black tunnels looked horrible. Polaris obviously used a lower quality paint IMHO.
I think the Mylar would work on the verticle sides but not where you place your feet on the flats of the tunnel. I would look into some type of floor board mat offered possibly by Yamaha. Ask RX-Warrior (buyer of my Warrior) how my floor boards look. I installed a rubberized foam footwell pad offered by Yamaha. I believe they were about $20.00 and worked great. Sure the tunnels weren't painted on the Warrior but mine weren't scuffed in the least bit.

Never wore the powder coat off any ski doo Ive had, even the yellow tunnels looked good after a number of years. If yamaha is also using powder coat theres nothing to be concerned with

welterracer said:
I had a 95 zr 700 that had a black tunnel... and i wore all the black of the the foot well area and the sides were i sometimes put my feet!

Woulnt you like to slow down the process?
That's because it is a junk Cat.

TT670 said:
Never wore the powder coat off any ski doo Ive had, even the yellow tunnels looked good after a number of years. If yamaha is also using powder coat theres nothing to be concerned with
I'm with you TT, I never wore any paint off my DOO in the last 10 years. I hope Yamaha uses the same paint.

Mr Sled, can you find out what type of paint is used on these painted tunnels.

While we're on the subject of protective coating is there anything to prot. the tierods that always get stone chipped? I was thinking maybe a clear spray on poly. :Rockon:

I used the 3M clear tape on my SRX.

Works good on the sides.....but not on the botton.

The running boards get a little warm because of the coolers....this and your boot pressure and melted snow, move the clear film. and then your boot still scratches.

They make a spray on tough coating now that might work!

I've tried several types of tape on my previous Yamahas with painted tunnels with no luck, the tape falls off at some point.

See what happens and if it wears have spray in bedliner cover that area. It might be a bit goofy, but I would have taken the plain aluminum tunnel instead.

Otherwise have some clear coat applied, but that will eventually wear too.

Anybody try roll-on bed liner stuff, that should work for wear and traction,even wear on the tie-rods. Just my two cents, besides I wont have to worry about these "terrible problems" that you guys do, since I cant find anyone who is interested in my SRX 835. So I will probably have to let my reserved APEX GT slip thru my hands. THANKS GORDY

Back