• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

how hard is it to change sliders with suspension in machine

rx1 man 04

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2007 Yamaha apex gt and 2012 Yamaha apex xtx
just wondering how hard is it to change the sliders on a machine with the suspension still in the machine. I usually change mine with the suspension out, but if anyone has any tricks on getting them out with the suspension still in the machine , tips would be greatly appreciated.

Raise rear of sled off the ground, remove front screw, use screwdriver and hammer to drive hyfax out window in rear from the front where you removed the screw. Once hyfax is sticking out the rear of track window , start sled, put in reverse and whack the throttle, hyfax will peel off like a banana skin. Drive new hyfax on through window in back and replace screw.

so easy,loosen track,remove front screw,make sure you have the right screwdriver,dont want to strip that bolt,you might have to cut the opening in the track a little so the slider fits thru the hole ,then go at the back of the sled and insert a flat screw driver in between the rail and the slide,pry the slide downwards so it comes off the rail,at the same time rotate the track with your hands so the slide enters the opening and make it stick out a good 2'',start your sled,pop in reverse and get the track turning,it will fall on the floor in seconds,good luck

thanks for the help

I watched the video on how to do it, looks pretty easy, I will give it a try. will order the dupont slides on monday, going on a long trip to northern ontario, so want to make sure I dont have any slider issues. anyone know if the dupont slides are on backorder

pat the rat said:
so easy,loosen track,remove front screw,make sure you have the right screwdriver,dont want to strip that bolt,you might have to cut the opening in the track a little so the slider fits thru the hole ,then go at the back of the sled and insert a flat screw driver in between the rail and the slide,pry the slide downwards so it comes off the rail,at the same time rotate the track with your hands so the slide enters the opening and make it stick out a good 2'',start your sled,pop in reverse and get the track turning,it will fall on the floor in seconds,good luck

I like this idea. I'll try it next time. As of now no matter how I try to tap the slider back it goes so hard. Even with a air chisel I have.

CaptCaper said:
pat the rat said:

I like this idea. I'll try it next time. As of now no matter how I try to tap the slider back it goes so hard. Even with a air chisel I have.

put wd-40 on the slide before you install

yamaha1973 said:
CaptCaper said:
pat the rat said:

put wd-40 on the slide before you install
And make sure there are no burrs or rough spots on the rail before putting new slides on. My brothers brand new xtx was gouged up in 3 spots from dealer replacing hyfax last time.It was very hard to get slides back even 2 inches. Finally got them off, and found the gouges that appear to be from an air chisel. :o| Now we sanded off the gouges, lube with wd-40, an on like butter. Next time shoud be a breeze.

I just did mine last night. The WD-40 was key. I didnt use it on the first one, and it was a cold hearted bitch to get it off the rail. Used WD on the second and it came right out.

I will be buying at least one replacement screw for the front, got a little rounded out.

I found cutting them off was easier. I put a new blade into an Olfa knife and just cut it along the top edge of the rail on one side.

Attachments

• IMG-20111104-00049 (Medium).jpg
    IMG-20111104-00049 (Medium).jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 285
I had gotten gouges when I first used the air chisel on them. Had to sand them smooth of course.
I've been doing the chisel it back enough to stick out the window and reverse method with Silicone. I wonder if Silicone is better then WD or vice versa?
Even banging,chiseling it backs out hard. I'll try the screw driver method next time. I'll go to HD and try to get a driver that looks up to the job. Maybe grind and polish the end so it doesn't nick the rail at all while prying.

#3 phillips for the screw, lube it up, I use an air chisel and go gentle with it till its sticking out then a quick pull, i find the sliders seem to stick on from dirt and grit build up in the slider i pack the slider and rail with silicone lube usuallt doesn't all get washed out and comes apart easier the next time

called the dealer about the dupont sliders

dealer says the dupont sliders on backorder and wont be able to get them till next year, anybody know any dealers in the us or canada that might have a set in stock? taking a shot in the dark that some dealer may have stock piled these sliders.

Back