• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How hard is it to make your own trail then use that to route

kinger

VIP Member
Website
www.piergenius.com
Looking at a routable GPS setup with trails and ORVs, in some cases we have found these awesome little legal paths to drive but no one does and its not on the VVmapping or redpine mapping maps, if I have a nuvi or oregon 450 can I have it track my route for just that 10-20 mile stretch then when we head back late that night navigate to the destination using that track we just created earlier, ie no PC in between and not follow the entire exact track of the earlier route *ie 100 miles total and I only want to catch the 20 mile secret route?

Sorry I'm a GPS NEWB! I really wanted to go sledding without it to get off the grid, but the last few years our group cant remember where we are and we spend WAY TOO MUCH time looking at a map even at places we have ridden for years! LOL I just want it to be easy and I will lead keep the map looking to a minimum or eliminate it altogether!

you should be able to do it with the Oregon , most handheld ones can do it . check under, setting/track/track log, something like that . It should give you an option to start recording(at the beginning of trail) and you'd have to stop recording and the end and save and you should be able to reload only that section of trail.

If you have an iphone there is an app for that. Lol. Seriously there is. Its by polaris but it works really well. You can even check on snow depth and weather for the area. I have it and play with it every day. Shane

If you have an iphone there is an app for that. Lol. Seriously there is. Its by polaris but it works really well. You can even check on snow depth and weather for the area. I have it and play with it every day. Shane

Just looked quickly through my Montana to see if it can be done. I don't see an option to just record a certain part of a route but you can set to to record or not record. I guess you could do that and start recording when you want and then stop afterwards. Another way is to record the entire route and put a waypoint at the start and stop point of the trail you want. When you save a track you can save from only between the waypoints you marked. I usually just record everything and then break things down when I get home on my PC into different routes.

On the Oregon, you should be able to route, edit and save individual tracks for use later. I had a Legend and 76cx previously and were able to do that, however there was a limit to saving only 16 tracks I believe. Can't walk you through it though, as it has been a few years since I've owned/used one of these units.

On the Nuvis, you can't save or edit tracks. The Nuvis only create a single track log that eventually will overwrite itself while you ride, esentially deleting the oldest travelled point on the route. Personally, the best way is to create your own custom map of the trails so you can permanently install them into your gps and not risk losing/deleting them.

I've made a few installable maps for my Nuvi now, and it can be a difficult, frustrating and very time consuming process, especially if you're anal and want particular trails to look a certain way, labelling tracks, colours, waypoints, etc.

Last year, I came across a program called GPX2IMG, that can install a map into Mapsource directly. It's pretty simple to use, as well offers a free trial which has a limit to the number of trails you can create into a map.

There is a tutorial on the site, as well as a small Forum for other questions and help on how to use the program, but it's pretty straight forward. Here's a link: http://www.gpx2img.com/ Don't use Garmin Basecamp as he uses in the demo, use Mapsource...just trust me on that one. Then you select the desired maps and transfer them to your gps.

Before using GPX2IMG, you first have to upload your tracks from your gps into Mapsource. Then you can edit/modify/rename these tracks, and save your track & waypoint file (.gpx) using Mapsource. It's pretty straight forward once you play around with it a bit.

Good luck.

Back