• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How many 3000+ mile 05 RX-1's needed suspension repairs?

How have your 2005 RX-1 suspension's been holding up?

• No problems at all in 3000+ miles (other than a few bearings)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Replaced the front pivot arm

• Replaced slide rails or installed reinforcement kit

• Replaced pivot arm and had rail updates

• Other problems including RA cable breaking

• A combination of or all of the above problems

• Total voters

ReX

TY 4 Stroke God
How many of you with more than 3000 miles (5000 kms) on your 2005 RX-1's have needed repairs and or updates to your suspension?

Replaced bushings at 1700, pivot arm at 2850 as well as right hand rail(cracked at rear boogie wheel mount)06 pivot arm and r. rail all coved under warranty.Made gussets for rear idler wheels on rails. Now at 5200 miles left side rail is cracked just before rear bump stop,no more warranty.

BIG BLACK WARRIOR said:
Replaced them all. Should have listed the RA cable in your pole.

I guess I should have said "Other problems including RA cable breaking" and made the last one "A combination of or all of the above problems".

Maybe a moderator can fix it up...

Front torque arm, bushings, wheels and looks like I need a FOURTH RA cable! I'm going to take a hard look at how to protect the cable from breaking again as apparently Yamaha can't figure it out.

Warrented items replaced last year include front pivot arm, both rails, all idlers, 2 rear wheels, Ra cable (twice). Non-warrented items this year include all the bushings, weight transfer rod and housing (bent and wore through housing), 2 rear wheels, both rails are cracked at the rear idlers again but have not been replaced (band aided with gussets). Studded track will need replacing before next years season. 6900 miles on sled.

3500 miles on my mountian 8 bearings real bad slides gone all plastic bushings need to be replaced. no wounder they call it junk and just like riding a picnic table.

Bushings and collars all fried after 1900 miles - replaced by my dealer. Dealer also put in zerks at no charge.

Then front arm goes taking out track, ra, track adjustment bolts, rear arm and more - $1400 in parts and had to fight for 2 weeks with Yam to cover it and update to 06 - they finally covered parts but no labor. They did the right thing, but I shouldn;t have had to fight so hard with them. If you have a problem with Yam, don't give up, seems they are trained to say no 5 times before even listening.

72% with problems in the first 3000 miles is a pretty bad statistic.

No wonder I had so much trouble in my first 6300 miles (last season)...

4500 miles 2 sets of bushings I am now adding oil impregnated bronze bushings. 3 RA cables. I really don't want to look at the rails and arms but will have no choice. I am going to pass this one down. I am ordering an 07. I wanted an Attack but will have to go to the Apex RTX. You would think that Yammie got a clue after 2 seasons. I wonder how many GT's lost their little wires?

To me, even a 5% failure rate of a mechanical system being used as it intended to be used (advertised, etc.) over the entire extended warranty period is a major design failure.

If order for these numbers to get down to 5% we would need 332 people to vote that they have had no problems without a single problem vote added.

The 05 monoshock was more than a weakness, it was a disaster as far as durability is concerned.

Also keep in mind the majority of failures weren't wear issues (bushings, bearings, etc.) but were structural failures of the mechanical linkages. Could you imagine a car where the front control arms broke on more than 1/2 the cars sold within 2 years of use?!?

It's a good thing Yamaha beefed this skid up for 06 and now offers a much stronger suspension in their rough trail RTX...

Mark O, I'm glad to hear your dealer updated your suspension to 06 specs. The 06 skid is quite a bit stronger (unfortunately we still broke our 06 pivot arms during 3000-6000 miles of use - we did ride them fairly hard compared to last year with the weaker 05 suspension).

I agree with everything you point out Rex. I was just trying to say that it would be interesting to see how many people didn't have major problems versus those that did. ;)!

Sorry Mark O, I wasn't trying to contradict your post. It just got me thinking about how big a problem this suspension really was in 2005.

I wonder what the real numbers are from Yamaha...

Back