• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How to load a dead sled onto a trailer

WARN has a great winch that you power with a cordless drill. A bit expensive but can be used for years and years to come.

WARN 101570 Handheld Portable Drill Winch with 40 Foot Steel Wire Rope: 750 lb Pulling Capacity

I used my 4 wheeler's winch by attaching a single pulley to the front of the trailer. That way I could pull the sled in with no effort from behind the open trailer.
I'm sure the same thing would work with a rope or cable and a second snowmobile.

I not arguing the method, i.e. block and tackle, or snatch block from the front of trailer the use people, ATV winch or another sled to draw the dead sled into the trailer. However, my SW weighs
301.6 kg / 665 lbs (dry w/o gear). My question is HOW do you attach block and tackle, or a snatch block t0 the front of a aluminum or steel trailer? IMO if weld something to the trailer frame the frame is going to collapse. I think your going to have rope/wire that passes through the trailer and attaches to the truck/ATV/Sled. That dead SW initially will feel like 1000 lbs until you get it moving and then you don't want the trailer to move.

Not sure why pulling with another sled is not an option. I have loaded numerous sleds this way. Just use a 4 point attach like used in the mountains to tow a sled (towed sled is up tight to the tow sled. If you can't drive off, then that can be an issue. Make sure skis go inside the trailer :)

Greetings
I’m looking for suggestions for loading a dead sled into an enclosed trailer that I can take along just in case. Sure come along winches work but are very slow. Anyone have a homemade winch idea like maybe a setup similar to what’s used on a boat trailer to haul a boat forward? Not really interested in any 12 volt winch set ups. I only have a two place in line so towing with another sled doesn’t accomplish this with much success. Thanks in advance!

The problem with pulling on the front end of a Ski-Doo is that the bumper is only attached to the plastic belly pan. I'd be hooking on behind the spindles if I were you.

Yes, tie the sled so that the front bumper is against the rear flap. This is how you get a sled out of the mountains when you have to go up and down steep hills as well as side hill. No need for a rider either, just double up on a different sled than the tow sled if possible (share the load). Just towed and loaded another one this way a couple weeks ago. Which might be a good indicator that I need to consider getting some newer sleds. :)

I not arguing the method, i.e. block and tackle, or snatch block from the front of trailer the use people, ATV winch or another sled to draw the dead sled into the trailer. However, my SW weighs
301.6 kg / 665 lbs (dry w/o gear). My question is HOW do you attach block and tackle, or a snatch block t0 the front of a aluminum or steel trailer? IMO if weld something to the trailer frame the frame is going to collapse. I think your going to have rope/wire that passes through the trailer and attaches to the truck/ATV/Sled. That dead SW initially will feel like 1000 lbs until you get it moving and then you don't want the trailer to move.

i have d rings bolted through the floor to a crossmember underneath on my enclosed trailers. use them to winch in dead sleds, quads and drag other heavy items in. factory tie downs on a car hauler enclosed are only bolted to the plywood floor on all the ones i have seen.

WARN has a great winch that you power with a cordless drill. A bit expensive but can be used for years and years to come.

WARN 101570 Handheld Portable Drill Winch with 40 Foot Steel Wire Rope: 750 lb Pulling Capacity

Warn has a portable 24Volt cordless winch. It’s called a Pullzall. The corded version is half the price. I have the cordless version. It has a dead weight pull of 1,000 Lbs. I have pulled my 20 ft pontoon with a 175lb 4 stroke outboard onto my lakeshore with it. I used a snatch block to do that. Thanks Highway thru hell! Lol. It is heavy at least 15 Lbs my guess. But is a lifesaver when you need it. However the cable is only 12 feet.

https://www.amazon.com/Capacity-Ele...1&keywords=drill+winch&qid=1615040071&sr=8-18

My idea. This winch is inexpensive and should work just fine. I had a problem two years ago trying to load a dead Vector LTX by myself . In an enclosed trailer Its tough to winch through the front door ! the door height is higher than my hitch on my truck so I don't want the rope or chain or cable wrecking the door lip. My idea is to take the winch above and make a mounting plate in the front of the trailer and reinforce it with a steel plate . Then use the sleds battery to run the winch . If the battery is toast I have outlets in the bed of my truck for both 12volt or 110 volt . I would also make a strap to attach to both spindles with a Snatch block . This should pull up anything . If you don't have a battery on your sled I'm thinking a garden tractor battery at Walmart is 35.00 . I'm guessing about 150.00 for every thing and it could fit in a tool box .

I did pickup a Harbor Freight portable winch and a Pelican style case to carry it in. It is easy to throw in the truck and has clevises and straps in it for various situations. I just run jumper cables from the truck battery (a couple sets usually do it). I have extracted numerous things with it. Small trailers, sleds, tractors, lawn mowers, etc. Takes a lot longer to setup vs. just driving on the trailer with the towed sled, but I keep it as an option.

Glad I found this post. At 58 and being the Winder is a heavy tank I think I will hook up some kind of portable 12 volt winch in the front of my trailer. Also a new battery. Many times I ride with my wife during the week and have wondered WTF would I do if one of our sleds died. Even her light Polaris would be no go. Sucks getting old. In my youth I would pick up my SRX front end and walk it into a parking spot backwards since it had no reverse. They were heavy also. Now I am lucky if I can lift the back of my winder. Lol

To attach the pulley in my example I used a 6 ft web tow strap. It went under the front of the cover and I either looped it on the trailer tongue or attached it to the loops on the front of the trailer that hold the ramp for driving off. Pulley was attached using one of those chain link connecters with a threaded collar on one side.

Ya thanks. I'm thinking snowmobile manufacture's might make trailer provisions for loading a dead sled

Back