• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How to remove cam chain tensioner

T-rav 27

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Srx 700 imp,1100 turbo, mcx apex
Hey guys what is the best easiest way to get the cam chain tensioner out on these winders

There's nothing at all at a"easy" about it. I have a ZR9000 Cat but I assume it's the same. You have to able to lift the rear of the engine up to be able to get either a ball-end allen bit or a regular allen wrench onto the two bolts that hold it in. In order to lift the rear of the engine, you need to remove the rear engine mount bolt. To do that, you'll need to a) remove the rear clutch so you can remove the bolts that hold the arched aluminum brace behind the secondary clutch and b) remove the chassis braces over the engine (the steering tripod) to allow engine to tip u[ in back. Then, you'll need to remove the heat shield over the exhaust manifold so you can remove the exhaust pipe that connects the engine exhaust manifold to the turbo. To do that, you'll have to remove seat, and gas tank. Then, loosen the bracket that mounts the turbo. You might have to drain the cooling system so you can move/remove hoses so you can tip rear of engine up. Remove/loosen the intercooler hoses and intake plenum, again, to allow the engine to tip forward so you can get at the bolts that hold the tensioner in. Once you can lift rear of the engine, then a ball-allen bit can get into the two bolts around the jackshaft. It's a royal pain in the #*$&@! Bad design!
How do I know all this? Because I had to remove that tensioner twice to remove the engine head twice!!!

PM me if you want to know more. To my knowledge, there's no easy way to get it out short of all I describe above. It's a complete disaster of a design.

Back