• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

HYFAX / SLIDES

hammyj

Country
USA
Snowmobile
05 Rage
Generally speaking sliders have not really changed. Yes there are Dupont$$$ and Graphite$$. I been riding since 1970 (bogie suspension) and was just thinking about the sliders I am about to replace. It seems to me years ago some people were drilling holes in there slides to accumulate water / snow for lubrication. I was thinking of sawing two full length grooves or many 45 degree cross cuts maybe 1/2" apart. This would aid in lubrication and more importantly (my opinion) less surface which should mean less heat.
So, what do you all think about this?
Thank You

last i heard of the holes was 15 years ago on ty 2 stroke. no one posted up results that i remeber.

The Duponts have holes, so there must be SOME relevance to the theory.

The slot idea is good thinking, but my thoughts are rocks/debris will get caught in the channel and shred them. Just my opinion.

Generally speaking sliders have not really changed. Yes there are Dupont$$$ and Graphite$$. I been riding since 1970 (bogie suspension) and was just thinking about the sliders I am about to replace. It seems to me years ago some people were drilling holes in there slides to accumulate water / snow for lubrication. I was thinking of sawing two full length grooves or many 45 degree cross cuts maybe 1/2" apart. This would aid in lubrication and more importantly (my opinion) less surface which should mean less heat.
So, what do you all think about this?
Thank You
The holes in slides was done years ago by racers. You can drill holes and or cut slots in them but realize they will WEAR FASTER.. I had a set that i drill out to gain a few up top... Personally I think your better off using the Dupnts or graphites.

The Duponts have holes, so there must be SOME relevance to the theory.

The slot idea is good thinking, but my thoughts are rocks/debris will get caught in the channel and shred them. Just my opinion.

I though the holes in the duponts where due to the manufacturing process of the vespel inserts.

So I just replaced my Dupont's on my 16XTX. I should have done them last spring but I had ordered a new track so I waited. Then the snow was lacking and late so I did not want to put on my new track. Long story short,
I just replaced both the track and the Dupont's which were on from brand new this spring. I have 18,800 km on them. Yes they were due last year 2500km ago) and yes, by the time I did replace them they were starting to actually wear through in a few places. I have to believe that is the least expensive way to go. I go 5+ years out of them. Worth every penny.

Do what you think will work to one slide and leave the other one as purchased and see which one wears more than the other.

I would bet Doo style scratchers left down you get as many miles and just as good performance out of stock slides , just saying , run my MTX (3 inch paddles ) with scratchers down as often as I can remember to and only replaced one set in 8000 miles .

I would bet Doo style scratchers left down you get as many miles and just as good performance out of stock slides , just saying , run my MTX (3 inch paddles ) with scratchers down as often as I can remember to and only replaced one set in 8000 miles .

Yep, 16400 kms on original sliders.

8k on my Duponts on my XTX, still look good. So does my track, no missing lugs or anything like that.

Back