• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

I’m stumped - Phazer bogie wheels

TheHooter996

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 Yamaha Phazer RTX
All, a couple of days ago I picked up a 2008 Yamaha Phazer RTX with 1030miles on the odometer. I checked the sled out pretty well (I thought) took it for a test ride and took it home. Sled is in great shape cosmetically. Got back to the house and when I put it
on the lift I noticed track tension needed to be adjusted by the large gap I could see between the skid rail and track. I rolled the track forward and noticed the gap disappear. WTF? Then I saw this. The upper bogie wheels have a huge flat spot and both are worn exactly the same. Everyone I’ve talked to about this is baffled. Yes the wheels do turn, bearings are not locked up, which doesn’t mean they weren’t before. What are the chances the bearings locked up at the same time? I don’t know what to think of this.
I didn’t notice any thumping on the test ride, as when the wheels are loaded the track rides on the flat spot. Under no load (up on the lift) the wheels do turn as I spin the track by hand.

Attachments

• FD8E5F58-673E-4764-B733-5F4B682C7464.jpeg
    FD8E5F58-673E-4764-B733-5F4B682C7464.jpeg
    99.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 518FAF5C-6548-4E8E-AEC6-AF3781EA4C3C.jpeg
    518FAF5C-6548-4E8E-AEC6-AF3781EA4C3C.jpeg
    187.3 KB · Views: 87

I go after mine with a rubber mallet in the morning if it was parked outside. The comment above explains it for sure.

Nice sled, you'll enjoy it.

That makes sense, thanks! Bogies at Troy City Garage, NY are $72/each. I bought em, but there must be cheaper options out there right? I was apprehensive ordering through Dennis Kirk because I wasn’t sure these were bogie wheels. I checked the schematic through yamaha and they are different part numbers than the bogies at the rear of the skid. Any one have any advice on other options?

Both of my 2010 Phazers had that same issue when I bought them. The stock wheels are all plastic and tend to slip inside the track easily if frozen with a little ice. I upgraded them to some Cat wheels part # 3604-264 which have rubber tires on them that seam to eliminate the slipping issue. These are the same diameter and use the same bearing so it's a direct swap. I believe I had to reverse the installed direction of the wheels (snap ring on opposite side) to clear everything but otherwise no issues. Also, drilling a hole in each wheel with a spade bit to allow for easy shock bolt access is necessary.
I bought a used set of four on ebay for $50 with bearings. The bearings in these fit much tighter in the wheels compared to the stock ones. Overall a much better designed wheel than the Yamaha unit.

Yep, those AC wheels are the holy grail of replacement upper wheels for the Phazer. I'd get better quality bearings though.

edit: That thread has a different part # that what @turbogts22 listed. I used 3604-616 and they fit perfectly.

Back