• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

I am looking for the best way to change slides on a vk pro

Bearly

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
vk pro vk 540
WEBSITE
rjmackie65@yahoo.ca
YAHOO
rjmackie65@yahoo.ca
I need advice with changing slides on a vk pro

Depending on your track you should be able to install new slides through the drive tooth windows in the track. You will have to get the track off the ground in order to do this. I usually hoist the back of the machine up with a come along. Take the tension off of the track, remove the screw from the slide on the front of the rail and pull the slide back through the window at the back of the sled.

Easier said than done usually for me so I typically end up using a combination of a hammer and small wedge of wood up front (to ensure I don't damage the metal) to drive the slide back a few inches and through the window. A set of vice grips on the end of the slide once it gets through the window usually does the trick for me to get it the rest of the way.

To install the new ones spray them down with something to lubricate them and allow them to slide on easier. Rust check, dish soap, anything to ease the friction is a big help.

Your other option would be to drop the suspension and pull the skid, do your work on a bench and re-install. Having had mine out to install a deeper lug track I think I would rather buy a new snowmobile than attempt this route again haha.

Once you get the slide started thru the window put sled and reverse and feather the throttle and it will peel like a banana.

and it is easier to cut them to legnth before they are in the sled.

Depending on your track you should be able to install new slides through the drive tooth windows in the track. You will have to get the track off the ground in order to do this. I usually hoist the back of the machine up with a come along. Take the tension off of the track, remove the screw from the slide on the front of the rail and pull the slide back through the window at the back of the sled.

Easier said than done usually for me so I typically end up using a combination of a hammer and small wedge of wood up front (to ensure I don't damage the metal) to drive the slide back a few inches and through the window. A set of vice grips on the end of the slide once it gets through the window usually does the trick for me to get it the rest of the way.

To install the new ones spray them down with something to lubricate them and allow them to slide on easier. Rust check, dish soap, anything to ease the friction is a big help.

Your other option would be to drop the suspension and pull the skid, do your work on a bench and re-install. Having had mine out to install a deeper lug track I think I would rather buy a new snowmobile than attempt this route again haha.
Thanks for the reply. It is an articulated track. I was hoping not to have to remove the small back piece as I only need to change the front one. Is there a way to remove and install the slide without taking the back slide off? Does anyone know of a video or a thread for more information on doing this job for this type of track?

Last edited:

Back