• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

I guess I can't turn right any more. Apparently the skis control my fueling now

smokingcrater

Expert
The last 2 times out I've had a strange stumble that is very sporadic. Changed some VERY wet plugs after the last ride, and it was good, for about 100 feet. Luckily I just happened to notice this trick as I was going to load. So I guess I get to spend some quality time tracing wires and checking harnesses!

For some back story, I replaced handlebars earlier this year, didn't have the problem before that. I also have an EHS bullet tuner, and I noticed the lights go all red when it goes into this stumble mode. My first diagnostic step might be just remove that, as I really don't need it with a barker exhaust with quiet core.

Any other tips/tricks to finding this gremlin?

I would check the free play in the throttle cable. Sounds like tors activating. Quick check is loosen the throttle block and slide it towards the center of bars and then check for the same condition.

I’d be looking for a wire with the insulation worn off. Could be grounding somewhere.

Check ecu for fault codes in diagnostics. Ecu will store them and fault light doesnt always light up. Get codes and then clear them. Start fresh as some codes could be there for years if never cleared. If you have coil pack codes for all 3 cylinder its likely crank position sensor.

Water in fuel will cause stumbles as it sloshes around in tank too.

Finally got in the garage tonight, haven't started looking yet but will soon. The good news is it is repeatable now and will do it on the lift.

* won't TORS only activate at a certain RPM? This happens at all rpm including idle.

* Definitely not fuel related. Fresh fuel, and it happens while stationary.

* No codes (00) at all, completely clean.

Going to bypass tors and do a first visual for bad wires, too late to fire up and test though after bypassing.

Last edited:
Anyone know if this is stock? Seems out of place. Relay poorly velcroed to the block right below the battery. Label has four stroke solutions and mountain performance. The wiring looks way too good to not be factory, the relay just looks strange.

Also... my kill tether has never worked, and I just threw it in my rear bag recently, about the same time this started. One branch off this relay harness seems to head over to the relay. I'm wondering if maybe the tether does sort of work, when turning right.

(Relay tests out good)
EDIT - Found my answer. Part of a 4 stroke solutions combination roll over valve & tether. Neither of which is functioning from what I can tell, and most likely not impacting this problem. (no power at the relay terminals under any condition.)
EDIT #2 - Tether/ROV is connected to itself where it should be connected to the kill switch harness. I suspect the tether failed and someone permanently bypassed it, but more troubleshooting to happen. 100% unrelated to this issue.)
EDIT #3 - Tether works! Not sure why it wasn't actually connected to the kill switch harness, but it seems to work flawlessly. Solved that problem at least.

20230123_185358.jpg

Last edited:
Did a quick start up (sorry neighbors!), and I couldn't recreate it, with or without the tether back in place. There were no obvious wire problems, everything looks good. I did bypass tors for testing, I'm guessing I'll probably just button it back up and do another on-snow test.

Tors will activate at an idle. As long as the throttle cable is being pulled and the throttle lever is not moving. And turning the skis one way can activate the tors and not activate in the other direction. Have had this happen to me. The way the cable is routed puts more pull on the cable in one direction and loosen in the opposite.

Tors will activate at an idle. As long as the throttle cable is being pulled and the throttle lever is not moving. And turning the skis one way can activate the tors and not activate in the other direction. Have had this happen to me. The way the cable is routed puts more pull on the cable in one direction and loosen in the opposite.

That is kind of what I'm thinking it is. When I replaced the handlebars, there definitely was some careful routing, and it appears to not take much to upset it. There was plenty of slack in the cable, and nothing was changed, but maybe if the routing was putting some pressure on the cable in the wrong way.

Back