• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

I have about an inch of play in my steering, normal?

Skeeterzx225

Extreme
It just feels wrong having that much play in my steering, is this normal? How do I eliminate it?

mine feels that same, also wonder if normal or not checked all linkages and can't see anything major wrong with them,

Check all your steering blocks, A-arm and bulkhead bushings. Mine were all shot and i had the same problem. Put new bushings in and all is good!! Has about an 1/8 of play now...

I have the same amout of play. I pulled it apart to check it and found most of the play was at the steering block by the oil tank. It looks like the summer project will be to replace all the blocks and ends. Unless Yamaha comes out with something really NICE! Then I will just replace the sled.

The slop is normal and will get worse with miles and time. I put the OFT aluminum blocks on-----spendy but I think it was worth it. Also change the 2 tie rod ends and you will be better than new

Mine had stearing play right off the show room floor. It just gets worse over time, Dosn't seam to affect the way the machine handles but every yamaha I have owned has had excessive stearing play. My wifes polaris xc 700 has 2500 miles on it and has less stearing play than my apex did with 300 miles on it... Its just a yamaha thing. Hopefully the new power stearing equipped sleds will solve this problem..

Mine had it too when i went to pick it up new. I wouldn't take delivery and had them fix it. It was the bushing on the steering column. It didn't appear it fit correctly.. they replaced and now i have NO play at all.

speedjunky said:
I have the same amout of play. I pulled it apart to check it and found most of the play was at the steering block by the oil tank. It looks like the summer project will be to replace all the blocks and ends. Unless Yamaha comes out with something really NICE! Then I will just replace the sled.

How many hours to change the blocks?

if you want to get all the bushings i believe its easier if you take the gas tank, seat, pod all off to do it. Maybe an hr or two depending how familiar you are with it. If your donuts are bad it would be a good time to do both and kill two birds with one stone.

pedros1983 said:
Check all your steering blocks, A-arm and bulkhead bushings. Mine were all shot and i had the same problem. Put new bushings in and all is good!! Has about an 1/8 of play now...

Yep, did it this past summer, made a big difference!

shanksyamaha said:
For you guys who are putting in new bushings.. How long is it lasting?? Are they staying tight after a few miles...

Stayed tight for three trips up North with aggressive riding. Starting to notice a little more movement again but still much better than last year. I may need to do it annually or bi-annually?

Back