• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Exhaust Clamps AWOL

YukonMP

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2014 Venture MultiPurpose 2020 VK Professional ll
This is just an FYI for everyone as our MP's age.

I have had replacement copper donuts on the shelf for years and at 16.5K km I finally get to use them. But the old fiber gaskets are still fine. Both of my clamps had loosened off and were just laying there.

So in go the new donuts and a set of plugs while I'm in that deep. Anything else I should be looking at?

Other than one belt this sled is original, right down to the sliders. Steering has an inch of play.

I have had replacement copper donuts on the shelf for years and at 16.5K km I finally get to use them. But the old fiber gaskets are still fine. Both of my clamps had loosened off and were just laying there.

So in go the new donuts and a set of plugs while I'm in that deep. Anything else I should be looking at?

Other than one belt this sled is original, right down to the sliders. Steering has an inch of play.
Doing great.

Geez. Your original donuts are fine? Yamaha MUST have improved them as mine on the 07 were toast way early and swapping in the coppers. The coppers outlasted the exhaust itself getting cracked pipes and broken flex joints. They could have been my fault having forgotten the middle support bolt so don't forget it! Haven't heard of any others having my problems so I assume it was my fault.

While you're there, maybe change you spark plugs and check your steering linkages.

Geez. Your original donuts are fine?
Upon reflection I realize that I may be full of crap ... again. Since I have never seen new ones it may be that mine were thin, so thin that the clamps loosened. Just wanted to clear that up in case someone is referencing this thread in the future.

If all you're left with is a mesh, they're toast. They're normally coated with some sort of stuff that looks like lead. I knew they were bad as soon as I saw them. If after the new one are in, copper or OEM, if the clamps are still loose, just file down the spacer where the bolt goes through to make them go just a little tighter.

On both my Phazers I safety wired the nuts and wired the clamps to each other to stop the rotation when they eventually get loose on the donuts. I think next time around I'll use a piece of stainless strap under each nut to connect them together.

when you clamped those donuts in with the new screw for the clamp were you able to get it tight were it should be? I'm trying to clamp mine down and it just seems too tight to get the clamp together.. i actually stripped one of them because it wasn't fully closed and the screw was angled!! damn.

I experienced some difficulty as you describe. As I recall I bent the clamp slightly so that the screw could start properly. When fully tightened the little bend I put in bent back as I tightened.

Welcome to TY.

x2 on filing the spacers. i like tightening the clamps until the do not rotate when i push on them with the socket bit.

when you clamped those donuts in with the new screw for the clamp were you able to get it tight were it should be? I'm trying to clamp mine down and it just seems too tight to get the clamp together.. i actually stripped one of them because it wasn't fully closed and the screw was angled!! damn.
x2 on filing the spacers. i like tightening the clamps until the do not rotate when i push on them with the socket bit.
Awesome. It went great. Got the first one done, only 1 donut left, 1 bad flange on #3 (repairedwith slip on end), I actually had the fastener pointing up and brought it together with channel locks and started the new screw in, no problem... apex #2 had zero donuts left, and flange broken on #4 pipe, its with me and going to get a slip on flange. after these, i May look at the Phazer. Interesting point, the 07 had the spacers on the claps (i ground them down), the 06 had no spacer.. and no evidence donuts had ever been done. Replaced with what I think are brass, ordered from ebay, my other set are true copper that came with the flange slip on kit. both identical in measurements but not weight.

Back