• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

I just have to VENT!! Towed by F7

rhoag,
I feel your pain, but I think most of us have had no problems. I think the wheel problem was a bad batch, and they went with a different type rubber, which was a mistake. I had to replace the outside idlers on one side because they melted with a torpedo heater a safe distance away. I have used the heater closer on all my sleds, and never had a problem.

My friend chewed me out for using an the heater. He had 2 friends that set there garages on fire with them. I've used them for years, but you have to be carefull.

The motor in my 05 RX-1 lasted one trip.
1st time I took it out was in the UP.. just crusing down a trail doing maybe 45-50 MPH following Yamaha's breakin procedure.
All of a sudden makes an awful racket and shuts off.
Took a look, rod hanging out the side. Sled was bone-#*$&@ stock and let go with just about 200 miles on it. Yamaha fixed it no problem but I was stuck riding my SRX on the lake the next weekend. I was just happy I didn't have to pay anything to get it fixed. Yamaha ain't perfect, going to be some bad apples in the barrel.. but they will take care of you.
Everyone I ride with that year were all on Cat's. ALL of them said it ws very strange to lose a motor on an RX-1. None said RX-1's were junk even though the oppourtunity was wide open. Damn POS can't even last 200 miles.. ya know? I actually got towed back by a Rev 500SS.. imagine how *I* felt ;)

So far with my Attak, it's got 900 hard miles on it. Zero issues so far. 2 GT's I ride with both lost wheels.. one at 250 miles, one at 40 miles. They got new wheels, no problems.

I have confidence in my dealer to take care of the sled. I don't think the wheels will be an issue now that the polaris wheels are on. Even though there isn't alot of thread holding the nuts on. And i'm sure whatever is wrong with it now will be fixed. But I read on here that on some of the sleds the shocks are rubbing the tracks, the lower tube for antifreeze is rubbing the chassis, the wire is getting ripped out of the shock, blown shocks, bent tunnels, over heating etc..... The only problem I had with my SRX was it ate hyfaxes and all three of my previous yamaha sleds not one issue. Why so many on the APEX? The skid isn't a first year skid they had it in the 05's and they fixed a few issues (no grease fittings/RA cables breaking), but it appears created more (shocks rubbing/ wheels). Anyway, I'm not just venting on here I called Yamaha customer service today and asked them to make sure I get a survey for this sled. I got one for everything else I buy from Yamaha and haven't got one for this sled yet. So I will vent on there as well. I just hope when I get it back this time I can ride the rest of the season trouble free.

Just got the call from my dealer. Everything was melted! So what I thought happened happened. Lost a seal, no oil. no lube, friction heat, more friction more heat, bearing seize, chain breaks. They ordered all new parts and should have parts by Thursday. Maybe I will be going Thursday night as planned after all!!! Now I just have to stress will it be done, should I delay the trip a day etc....

rhoag said:
Just got the call from my dealer. Everything was melted! So what I thought happened happened. Lost a seal, no oil. no lube, friction heat, more friction more heat, bearing seize, chain breaks. They ordered all new parts and should have parts by Thursday. Maybe I will be going Thursday night as planned after all!!! Now I just have to stress will it be done, should I delay the trip a day etc....

Keep the trip as planned, just add another day if possible, You'll want to ride more when there are no problems. Sounds like you have a good dealer though........

Yes I have no complaint with Green bay motor sports. The sales manager Dan always lets me borrow a demo sled for my wife to ride with me once a year, The service Manager Nick always takes care of things under warranty (and sometimes pushes Yami if not).
I do have a question. Is there anything that should be checked to see if it could have caused the seal to fail? Maybe something out of round or bent??? I don't know what seal failed and they really can't tell because everthing is melted.

They're all good when they're running, they all suck when they aren't...

If it didn't break, they wouldn't call is a snowmobile, they'd call it something else...

Sorry about your bad luck, rhoag. Hope everything works out.

Don't worry about being towed by an F7. I own two of them too. Just be glad it wasn't a Polaris... lol.

Yami and Cat is where it's at...!

Well, I got another call from my dealer today. F***IN Murphy's law! All the parts are on back order. This really makes me wonder are there alot of Apex's having the same problem????? The worst thing is like I said we have had a trip planned and I have Friday and Monday off. Oh and to really rub some salt in the wound.... We are supposed to get 8-10 inches tomorrow night so our trails might actually open here for the first time in three years. The dealer will give me their demo GT for the weekend, but I would prefer to ride mine that I have set-up for me. back to 4 inch carbides and a ton of inside ski lift. I suppose I could adjust everything Thursday night and add some shims etc... I just hope I don't have any more problems with my sled when I get it back.

good luck, I just got my sled back after over 4 weeks. The dealer had me call Yami, and they located all the parts. I did supply the handlebar, because it would be another 2-3 weeks.

I've noticed a LOT of parts and accessories have been back ordered for a long time from Yami. Yami has more money than all other snowmobile manufacturers combined. They should be better prepared to supply equipment, IMO.

I have things on back order that are not expected until mid to late March.

Does me a lot of good... FOR NEXT SEASON! :die

I believe Murphy was an optimist. :mrgreen:

I just called my dealer to see if there was a date on the back ordered parts and he said " Oh this doesn't look good, there's no date on most of the parts" so what does that mean? I hope it doesn't mean that there are zero in the system and they need to write a new contract with there supplier to get more parts manufactured??? I guess I will be doing alot of cleaning on my R1 for the next 2 months.

rhoag said:
I just called my dealer to see if there was a date on the back ordered parts and he said " Oh this doesn't look good, there's no date on most of the parts" so what does that mean? I hope it doesn't mean that there are zero in the system and they need to write a new contract with there supplier to get more parts manufactured??? I guess I will be doing alot of cleaning on my R1 for the next 2 months.
I would be demanding a new motor/crate. That BS. Call Customer Service yourself.

All brands have their weekness. Our dealer at each oil change removes the seal and greases the bearing on all Yamaha's jackshat bearings. Before doing so, it occasionaly happened.

I Just Have To Vent !! Towed bt F-7

Definitly seem to have reson to be upset. You are an exception not the rule!!. There are some small issues Yamaha will address and you are secure in knowing that they will address these issues in there noremal real world time fasion . A lot of changes since 05. Look at Cat, Polaris, absolute nightmare for 2 or 3 years. Your buddy with the f-7 would be silly to rub salt in your wounds, pay-back is a bitch. I had a hard time finding time to break in my attack. Took it to the dealer at 325 miles , told him to do the 500 mile service then left for 1800 miles in Quebec through the extrmes of weather and snow. No-issues other than a reverse problem (shifting forks). Exceptionally happy so far. Lean hard on your dealer, if he has any salt you should be looked after. We 4-strokers are a breed apart.

Back