• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

I need some honest clarification........

Honest clarification?
Our two mountain lites seem to be holding up even though we often always ride in "less than perfect conditions" and never on groomed trails. As for honesty here goes ..

Rear springs were / are too soft unless you are always in lots of fresh powder. Have found that riding it a bit more agressive seemed to lessen the bottoming out.

Front shocks should be the more agressive clicker ones.

No more overheating - our fans were running backwards and trying to pull air out of the instead of pulling cold air into the engine compartment - now that they are working properly they do not normally overheat (even in hard pack with the 2" paddle).

Blocked off the tunnel in one of them (both holes) , trimmed the heat shield and removed the rubber molding to let more heat escape (added extra heat shield under tank and seat).

Dealer did all recalls this far (parts on hand for the cold start but will wait till the snow is gone before having that done).

There is a bit of play in the front end - but again, have knocked a good many stumps and rocks so not suprised (the old style trailing arm setups which would probably have been totaled).

Front end (A arms) has been suprisingly tough (touch wood) despite the type of use we give it.

No skid / link issues on either machine.

They tend to be a bit "tippy" at low speed but once you have some forward momentum they become much more managable and much less likely to tip / roll. Liked the big windshield but figured that it would be too expensive to keep replacing it.

Lots of power for most of our riding ... I don't need to run 100 + but the low end grunt and acceleration are great.

Narrow seat and easy transition is excellent.
Boards need to be opened up to let more snow / ice escape.
Fuel economy is good (slightly less than our non turbo T660 touring).

In the end, the mountains lites are most often our 1st choice and when the conditions really great they are a blast. None of our other machines have come close to the fun factor. The more I ride it the better I like it.

i bought mine because they ran an ad with jimmy beatin it . he must of had a truckload of yamahas as one wouldnt of held up for the entire 3 minute commercial. my sleds been out for repairs for 3 to 4 weeks and still rideable sno. ive never not been able to ride all season till i bought a yammi .

phaze5 said:
i bought mine because they ran an ad with jimmy beatin it . he must of had a truckload of yamahas as one wouldnt of held up for the entire 3 minute commercial. my sleds been out for repairs for 3 to 4 weeks and still rideable sno. ive never not been able to ride all season till i bought a yammi .

You know that is why alot of us are here.To help you out any way we can so you can get riding as soon as possible.Unless your motor frags these snowmobiles are pretty simple machines that anyone can work on themselves.I cant think of any repair that cant be accomplished in a good day with a bit of ingenuity. Yes I know you shouldnt have to.But if it is riding-vs-waiting for dealer or parts etc.You should grab the bull by the horns and fix it.Go get that sled and show us what is wrong and fix it.Deal with warrantee later.Riding is much more important.

I agree totally...

I have a plethora of spare parts for the Phazer that I have amassed already (including a second rear skid, complete upper and lower A-Arms for both sides, shocks, motor plates and two front tube chasis just to name some..) and was able to keep the machine on the snow for the majority of the season.

Now that the season is over (read: I ran out of rear suspensions) I now turned a truck load (literally) of parts and my machine in to get fixed on someone elses dime and time.

But again, I don't believe that a new machine should require it's owner to modify existing designs (which I already voided the warrenty on many components that I 'fixed') that are currently in production nor is it acceptable for owners to keep spare sleds on hand in order to pillage parts from.....

thanks guys but when youre parts are on a slow boat from china theres nothin you can do but wait. ill keep her around as long as she runs but im gettin something else to last thru the season. thanks again

fixed it the ball joints were bad came within 3 inches of a very large tree if i new it was a faulty product i wouldnt of tryed that hard to miss it i would of just stepped off and waited for new sled. the steering would bind up when suspension cycled it locked when i needed it to turn. my buddy seen the marks and said that guys lucky. i told him im not that lucky im done riding, he couldnt figure out it was me till i found a guy wire to drive my sled up to check steering it quickly understood.

phaze5 said:
fixed it the ball joints were bad came within 3 inches of a very large tree if i new it was a faulty product i wouldnt of tryed that hard to miss it i would of just stepped off and waited for new sled. the steering would bind up when suspension cycled it locked when i needed it to turn. my buddy seen the marks and said that guys lucky. i told him im not that lucky im done riding, he couldnt figure out it was me till i found a guy wire to drive my sled up to check steering it quickly understood.

Just to keep the thread sort of on track, in February you wrote:
phaze5 said:
I beat mine pretty good but im smart enough to know when the sleds not happy. i think miked hit it on the head. any sled will only take so much, my sno cross sleds begged to be ridden hard,until you start repairing broken shocks etc. that gets old quick. mine is still ok though.
Sounds like your sled isn't happy. :dunno:

Well, believe it or not, I am actually getting used to the 3" of slack in my steering, it feels like I am on my 93 Exciter with 13 000 miles on it.

Scary at times, but what can you do?

Other than the steering, and crappy front end in general I am quite happy. My front frame is all bent, and something is WAY off there. haha. similar to the Nytro issues I guess.

I never had it overheat (1.375' paddle track helps?)
I have no reverse
Never had trouble with rear suspension. (larger, upper wheels freeze sometimes and can create flat spots, I'd say that's common to any sled)
Never had cold start issues
first sliders lasted 3000 miles, (fully clipped track, ran pretty loose)

Not happy about the resale value at all though, I paid 10000 out the door, and I think it would be hard for me to get 3500 right now. I am pretty sure I will keep it though, and maybe add boost later on...

IF someone comes out with some kind of bushings to tighten the front end up.

I bet were gonna see an aftermarket fix soon for the front ends probably from Excell or hartman or some company like that.

ive never worn out ball joint parts on any of my quality built sleds before and my sled had just came back from one of the steering mods the dealer performed not much before that. and i told him about excessive play and he said thats normal,theres nothin you can do about it so why in only a couple hundred miles would they fail immediately and i dont beat this phazer anywhere as hard as my polaris.and steve i have a sticker on my sled that a buddy gave me it says the older i get the faster i USE to be. i thought i was taking it easy on it.and now im another year older so maybe shell hold up this year lol. still a fun sled

All my ski-doos had a lot of front end slop that I don't know what really is new here with loose steering in sleds.

The steering update increases the slop in a effort to keep the steering from freezeing up.Some had that issue bad.For those that didnt it would be easy to tighten up the steering to a point but I doubt if you will ever see a fix sold to public because of the freezing up issue.

RoicIND said:
I own a 2007 Yamaha Phazer FX.

Now that the Phazer has 1800 miles on it, I have begun to have all of the problems (except the starter....just waiting...) that some individuals have had and stated to keep an eye on. Rear suspension (3x), Front Suspension, Overheating, steering slop, reverse engagement.....

WHY THEN, IS IT HARD FOR SOO MANY TO GRASP THE FACT THAT YAMAHA DID NOT CREATE A PRODUCT THAT IS IN LINE WITH OTHERS IT HAD CREATED FOR QUALITY AND FIT AND FINISH?

THE SITE IS A WONDERFUL RESOURCE, BUT THE NAYSAYERS ARE CORRUPTING WHAT HAS BEEN PROVEN TRUTHFUL TO ME.......

A very good question indeed - But I don't think you will get an answer. I won't repeat what I have already said many times because people get tired of hearing the same things over and over..... and that no doubt contributed to people's reactions to other's problems.

But anyway as others have said, it seems like a lot of your trouble is dealership related. It is too bad - same products and warranties, but a wide variation in servicing.

Back