• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ice Ripper

breakinbarrs

Expert
Now that lennstang has thrown in another variable to my first track post, all input pros and con on the ice ripper would be appreciated. How does it handle hard pack, shear ice etc. Anybody have em for an extended mile period would great.

I put my Ice Ripper XT on before my sled hit the snow last year and rode it for 1700km. I'm very happy with the performance of the track, on hard pack it is awesome. Sheer ice it will hold a straight line once your up to speed, but the track does spin a lot when you hammer it. It will never beat a sled with real studs. I bought it for the safety factor and not having to worry about throwing a stud in the exchanger, plus there is no maintenance replacing studs or creating holes in the track.

TRACK

Ice grip not so good for perf but safer than unstudded
Hard pack perf is o.k.
top end is good,
side bite is not good. corner sweeper,
durability has been par with other tracks used ,
Braking is safer than with out but not great

Actually I was the person who recommended the Ice Ripper in your other post so I feel I should comment on this thread as well. I personally put on 2,500 miles last year on my first Ice Ripper XT and it looks as though it is in new condition. I was skeptical at first but two of the guys I ride with installed them a couple years ago and they were both huge fans of studded tracks, they both swear that the XT is the best they have used as well. The IR XT is not going to win races from a dead stop on sheet ice but the aggressive trail rider will love it, the safety factor is huge for icy roads and sudden stops on trails. For 22 years we have been riding the Eastern U.P. and there is a 5 mile stretch that we have always raced on, up until the Ice Ripper I wouldn't even try it cause at full throttle the back end would break loose, now I'm much more confident and do not hesitate to go for it. Between the three of us I can say the hold up very well, financially it makes sense as well with the cost of a new track and studs being much higher.

Cobalt

I think i can send the same sentiment as those above, the ice ripper is definately better than no studs, and it does work.... I loved it on our vector, then installed one on the attak.... the vector it was perfect, however i felt the attak overpowered the ripper a bit.....

but that being said, to add safety and braking w/out the studs, this is perfect. If you want better performance on sheer ice take offs, it will still spin, but under braking does very well....

this is a great track, i have had it on my attak since new in 2007 and still looks brand new.

I have 2200+ miles on mine and absolutely love it. I've taken mine off my Attak and now have it installed on my Turbo XR1200 Ski-Doo. I figured I can always add 96 studs down the center if needed on there.

It is not a good lake ice track but is fantastic on the trails and icy corners. I studded my Turbo Z1 last year with 153 studs down the middle and it was more prone to washout in the corners on the trail than the Iceripper XT was. I just really feel the XT sharp stud track is the way to go if your trail riding. 5 MPH faster than a track with 144 studs in it too!

Here are some pictures and write-up I did when I first installed mine.

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... ripper+hot

It’s not a track for racing however. If you want to Drag Race your friends you will be disappointed.

I chose the Ice Attack over the Ice Ripper because I wanted a 1" lug and I liked the track design(Hacksaw) better for trail riding, which is where I ride most of the time. I also contacted Camoplast regarding both before I purchased mine and they informed me that the 1" Ice Attack had less lug bend, therefore the studs had better penatration into the ice than the 1-1/4" lug of the Ice Ripper XT. It doesn't hook up on ice like my previous Ripsaw did with 144 studs. But it's a great balance between no studs and studs. My Apex RTX rolls much better than before. The rolling resistance has been reduced dramaticly. The the 1st thing everyone who tries my sled notices, is the lack of friction and vibration. I no longer have the annoying vibrations related to running studs. After 2000 miles last season, I've got no chewed up idler wheels. I've replaced all my idler wheels twice in 3000 miles on my last track with studs. So far, I'm impressed with this prestudded track.

I convinced the Iceripper is the best trail track made. It doesn't have as much traction as pure studs but it doesn't tear up your garage or trailer like them either. If you spin it just leaves little scrape lines, not 1/4 inch torn chunks. I can drive on concrete slowly with out damage because some rubber is touching. When your running on a trail with occasional ice patches you cant tell the difference. It all feels like hard snow and you'll never get caught sideways by surprise. That's a big safety factor. Hard groomed trail traction is as good as it gets. I first put one on a 800 Arctic Cat that I sold to my brother that now has 7000 miles on it. I've got 4000 on one on my Apex. My wife has 5000 on one on a Crossfire. The studs don't wear out, and you actually loose very few. We all have some ripped Knobs though, but not any more than other unstudded friends tracks who ride the same Mn Iron range sharp rocky trails. I believe they will last as long as any other track.

3000 km last season on the on the IR XT, safety is key & no stud damage is another . Sill looks like new, handles the icy corners just fine & I always felt in control. Is it a studded track, NO, but on the trails I was very pleased with it & very pleasnatly suprised at how well it handled ice when called upon. Runs a WHOLE LOT SMOOTHER than it did with a studded Ripsaw as well.

I have over 5000 miles on mine, still looks good. I'm very happy with it. Like others said, not as good as studs but I don't worry about putting a stud through a heat exchanger like I have done in the past.

Back