• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Icing and noise issues with undertunnel exhaust

I too made my own under tunnel exhaust in hopes of eliminating the icing concern you guys talk about. I have never riddien my sled as I bought it in the off season. I used a Stock Harley muffler and vector header. I have it pointed straight towards the rear of the sled and attached at 4 points hoping it will act like a heat sink and warm the tunnel enough to prevent the icing. I guess I will find out next week when we head to Maine

Attachments

• UNDERTUNNEL.JPG
    UNDERTUNNEL.JPG
    207.2 KB · Views: 53

PoliticalMachine said:
Ya SDR I ended up bending the tabs a little and also added more rubber spacers to lower the exhaust more from the tunnel. i think my clamp might be to close to the block off plate and the block off plate might need more rivets on the inside. my buddy said it reminded him of an ice dam on a house where you have the hot ehaust warmming the under side of the tunnel but the outer or top part of the tunnel is still cold, thus icing up instantly.

Good to hear. I would recommend trying some anti icing spray, I bought some and used it with decent results the year before doing my under tunnel testing. Please keep reporting back when you ride again, I am curious to find out why the major difference from one sled to another. I have other customers with very different results.

stopdropanroll said:
PoliticalMachine said:
Ya SDR I ended up bending the tabs a little and also added more rubber spacers to lower the exhaust more from the tunnel. i think my clamp might be to close to the block off plate and the block off plate might need more rivets on the inside. my buddy said it reminded him of an ice dam on a house where you have the hot ehaust warmming the under side of the tunnel but the outer or top part of the tunnel is still cold, thus icing up instantly.

Good to hear. I would recommend trying some anti icing spray, I bought some and used it with decent results the year before doing my under tunnel testing. Please keep reporting back when you ride again, I am curious to find out why the major difference from one sled to another. I have other customers with very different results.

What was the name of the anti-icing spray? I was thinking that because the the stainless is non-porous that waxing would have better results. I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks

I thought Yamaha quit making thier under tunnel exhaust on thier touring models because of ice build up? I like the sdr exhaust and I hear it sounds good, just needs to be (sandwiched) sealed off from the snow.

I actually had some pretty hefty ice build-up with your old ride SDR. I kinda think it's a "conditions" type of problem as one day was alot worse than the other. You can see the ice build-up on the left side in this picture waiting for gas at Krupps two weeks ago. Funny thing is, there was zero build up on the other side...

2012-01-14_15-35-45_603.jpg

Going back to the UP on Sunday.Sounds like temps might be a little warmer than last time, so it will be interesting to track.

I'll also add that 3 good drops of the rear end broke all the ice loose.

I also would like to add that the sound of the exhaust is nothing short of BAD #*$&@...I actually got compliments from my buddies riding their Assaults...they all said they loved riding behind me. Unlike my Apex, there was zero drone sound, very nice sound and not obnoxiously loud like some others out there.

2BLUE4U said:
I also would like to add that the sound of the exhaust is nothing short of BAD #*$&@...I actually got compliments from my buddies riding their Assaults...they all said they loved riding behind me. Unlike my Apex, there was zero drone sound, very nice sound and not obnoxiously loud like some others out there.
X2!!!! great sound :4STroke:

Are you sure that you will eliminate or even reduce the ice build-up by going to an under tunnel exhaust, then...?
My exhaust assembly is built more in the direction of an "over tunnel exhaust" and I have clearly got less ice build-up than any other FX Nytro I have seen. Especially at the back of the tunnel and around the location where the OEM silencer sits.
In my opinion, the trick is to keep the inside of the tunnel cool, like it is in all of the two stroke sleds that never ever talk about an ice build-up issue.

Back