• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Inside wheels failing every 100 miles on a 2009 Apex

Sylvania, OH (Warwick Ontario Snowmobile Club)
Website
www.klim.com
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2009 Yamaha Apex GT
I have ruined 3 wheels in a total on 180 miles.

1st wheel 80 miles, replaced. Then both wheels failed in another 100 miles.

Is anyone elese having this "1 wheel per day" problem ?

I have studs , and yes the inside wheels are running over top of the stud head. I have torqued the studs again to pull them down as much as I could.

Is there something wrong or a better fix ?

I have the same problem as you... I got the two bolt mounts and larger wheels. Those were shot after 300 miles. Put in regular inner wheels and those were gone in about 50 miles. Thinking about doing something different for next year back there. I currently removed both sides for now and am going to just run the rest of the year without wheels back there and watch my slides. The thing that pisses me off is I put a new track on this year with no studs down the middle and it still delaminated the hell out of my wheels. This summer I am going to do some major rear skid work so I don't have to deal with this next winter.

Have you checked your track alignment? that could be one thing. Make sure it is even on both sides. Have you put on the 4 th wheel kit on the rear axle? That seemed to help for me, I buy the idler wheels from Dennis kirk, 23.00 dollars a wheel, I have put 1000 miles on and they are still there and I run studs, 96 1.4's down the middle.

I know after I adjust the track tightness I do check alignment and that was almost spot on last time I did that but who knows. I think maybe Ill just invest in some marginal snow kits and run those in the back and up front instead.

Mine is an '07 but it is my 3rd mono sled. Have had the 'delamination' problem on every single one. I am beginning to think it is a side-load thing. I can run ditches and they stay together. As soon as I get on trails and start to do a lot of turning they go away after 50 - 100 miles - the same as everyone else. If one goes the other will follow very shortly afterward. It is getting tiresome. Is there an un-laminated solid plastic wheel a person could use? It may make a little more noise but I am at the point where I don't care.

I am past the I don't care part haha. Looking right now for some ice scratchers so I can just take my mounts out of the back and just quit worrying about replacing them.

It is Not the same as everyone else. I have 7 grand on the 07 GT yammie wheels with not one problem. Also have an 03 with 9 grand, and have never had one wheel problem. I mostly trail ride. Do you guys run on snow? lol

... I just basically ride on dirt fourwheeler trails, YES I ride on some of the best groomed trails in the state that have snow! I have 8700 miles on my seld also and am starting to think I just need to go and buy a ZX2.

grubf said:
Is there an un-laminated solid plastic wheel a person could use? It may make a little more noise but I am at the point where I don't care.

There are some...I think the ones off the '05 RX1. I just bought a couple and might still have the part number at home. I can check tonight. All plastic...I've been running them in the center for a few years now. Just changed the old ones out after maybe 4500 miles. They weren't shot, but bearings not as smooth and I was heading out on a trip.

I put the Slydog bogies on the inside about 2000 miles ago and haven't seen any sign of a problem yet. I've greased the bearings once a year and they've stayed looking great.
I went with the Yammi spoked on the outside last season and they've done real well so far. Greased them a time or two as well.

had same problem until i tried the spoked style wheels. these are in the online yammy catalogue. these do not delaminate for me. stockers delaminated within 100 miles every time. the spoked ones are only like $22/ea.

i think if you go back to an 06 same style wheel the delam problem goes away - the urethane compound on 07 and newer where the problem from what i saw

About half of my 06 wheels delaminated and the other half, bearings were going. I have replaced all the wheels with the spoked ones and they look perfect after 2500kms. But the originals failed after 10000 to 12500km range.

Back