• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Installing Drivers - Looking for Tips

Sevey

TY 4 Stroke God
Website
www.ty4stroke.com
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2018 Sidewinder RTX
Hi all,
I have never installed the drivers on a drive shaft before.
Can anyone share any tips and tricks for installing stock extrovert drivers on a SW drive shaft.
I have a 30 t shop press.
Any special plates required or pipe to push with
Thanks
MS

Hi all,
I have never installed the drivers on a drive shaft before.
Can anyone share any tips and tricks for installing stock extrovert drivers on a SW drive shaft.
I have a 30 t shop press.
Any special plates required or pipe to push with
Thanks
MS
I have all kinds of plates and such and it’s a matter of the height to get it into the press. They only can go on one end. So you have to push them on from the clutch side to the gear case side first. Scribe a line at the hub and push to that. It’s not all that tough. Most important to get them spaced correctly. I scribe the old drivers hubs at shaft before removing. Then roll them in the Track once completed to check spacing and clearance at clips. The arrows on the driver must line up. Hope this helps.

Let me ask you this- do you sandwich the bottom driver and then push on shaft through both of them ( adjusting the height of the press deck from time to time). I gues you will need a piece of pipe ( that fits the inside dia of the driver) that allows you to push fully through the drivers as you get to the end?

Looking for best approach
Ms

Let me ask you this- do you sandwich the bottom driver and then push on shaft through both of them ( adjusting the height of the press deck from time to time). I gues you will need a piece of pipe ( that fits the inside dia of the driver) that allows you to push fully through the drivers as you get to the end?

Looking for best approach
Ms
Yes, you can do that to get them off.
Then follow MrSled instructions.
In addition, be sure to push only on the hub portion of the driver.

I use a pipe that fits over the inside hub of the driver and push both drivers off at once . Then press one driver at a time back on. Ive also found the best way to measure the drivers on install is from the lip on the inner hub of the driver to the end of the shaft , found this to work the best . If you don’t press them from the inner hub there is a very very good chance you’ll deform the drivers.

I use a pipe that fits over the inside hub of the driver and push both drivers off at once . Then press one driver at a time back on. Ive also found the best way to measure the drivers on install is from the lip on the inner hub of the driver to the end of the shaft , found this to work the best . If you don’t press them from the inner hub there is a very very good chance you’ll deform the drivers.
To push both drivers off - how long is your piece of pipe?
MS

The piece I use is about a foot long . I support the pipe on the press plates and push the shaft through te pipe. The pipe I use is thick walled pipe so it doesn’t cut into the drivers.

Interesting. I dont think i have the height on my press to do that.
For your pipe to fit over the chaincase side part of the shaft (when disassembling )- it wouldnt be resting tight on the ID of the driver. Has that been an issue?

I was going to place the driver on the press plates and push the shaft through both of them - but the outer part of the driver (as they are concave) would be laying on the press plates and would be taking the force - not the inner ID

Is this ok?
MS

I was going to place the driver on the press plates and push the shaft through both of them - but the outer part of the driver (as they are concave) would be laying on the press plates and would be taking the force - not the inner ID

Is this ok?
MS
If you don’t press them from the inner hub there is a very very good chance you’ll deform the drivers.

Thanks all for the input.

SInce my press isnt tall enough to get a length of pipe and press both drivers off in one shot - I sandwiched the drivers with some 1/2" plates and pressed them off one at a time. To get the outer driver (chaincase side) off, I made a collar out of some pipe that was 2.5cm in length and the diam of the inner driver. I sandwiched the collar with the 1/2 plates and pushed the shaft through it. Took some adjusting of the beds but didnt take long.

Appreciat the warnings - and yes - now that i have seen the force to get them off, i would not want to support the drivers anywhere else but the inner ID.
MS

Even though I have a press, I've taken them off with my forks on my loader tractor before. lol
Speeds things up. Slide the forks together with a spacer slid on the shaft, then the top of the shaft goes up against a barn beam in my old bank barn.

Back