• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Installing Zerk Fittings on 05 RX1?

keithstef

Veteran
Since Yamaha has mentioned yearly greasing :shock: , wondering if anyone installed there own grease fittings.

If so, please post pics of the install.

Thanks
Keith

blue05rx1,,, said his dealer is installing zerks on his for about $ 100. If they put them in the right places thats not to bad of a deal...

I wouldn't touch it until it prooves itself. Don't fix what aint broken. I personally believe people are making too big of an issue out of something that they don't even know if it works or not.

quote="NEED SNOW"]blue05rx1,,, said his dealer is installing zerks on his for about $ 100. If they put them in the right places thats not to bad of a deal...[/quote]

That's correct. At first Service told me around $60, then after the tech update he thought It would take a few hours ($60/hour I believe). After I told him he originally said 60, he would have honored that, but I want to be fair and want it done right so whatever it takes, I'm assuming 80-100 bucks. We discussed where he going to place the zerks, he's going to braze them on, but said he will hide them somewhat, and touch up the paint a little. The suspension is always full of snow anyhow. I'm looking at this as a preventative measure, because pulling the skid apart is NOT something I want to do or have paid to be done yearly. It would have been nice and great advancement If Yamaha had "sealed" it like a car /truck, but said it wasn't the case, so basically an over look by the engineers, I'm sure th 06's will be corrected.
Jim

On older sleds, we used to install zerks all the time. There's no such thing as too much grease for your skid. Prior to that, we had to pull the suspension, at least annually. If you didn't, you ran the risk of seizing a shaft inside the cross-tube---- not pretty!
Because of the thin tube wall, we'd braze a nut on, threaded for the zerk.
Quite a bit of labour, but we accepted it, like installing hot grips and thumb warmers. Besides, it gave us something to do besides arguing about the validity of performance mods, while we waited for snow.

If you think you don't need to grease this skid,you WRONG...I've had to replace front and rear bushings,"W" arm and rear cross shaft because of lack of grease at only 2400kms...same with my buddy with only 1900kms!

Can anybody tell me why did they install them on all of the "06"

The answer is...you need to grease it at every 500kms...it takes a lot of abuse.You have the sleds
weight plus driver riding on 4 little nylon bushings.My dealer also replaced them (front) with revised ones,they are black in colour with a steel core.

The other thing...check your rails,myself and my buddies sled both "05" RX1-ER 121" have cracked and broken rear rails at the inside idlers at rear,the ones beside your transfer rod.I lost 1 idler and bracket...so please check them out,I'm not the only one with that problem.

Check out "Whats wrong with this picture" see pic's we took...not a very nice site.Hopefully it will be covered under warranty...if not goodbye YAMAHA I've owned Polaris and Arctic Cat never I've I had so many problems with a rear skid in my life!

Back