• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Intermittently dropping a cylinder on rx1

giggity

Country
USA
Snowmobile
Yamaha rx1
Hey Guys, I have a 2005 Rx1 that I bought last year from a friend who has owned it since new. I took it on 1 trip last year and was having issues after a high speed run it felt as if it was dropping a cylinder, If I let it sit and idle for a few seconds it would return to running fine. I changed the spark plugs in it the next day and it ran perfectly fine for the majority of that day, but started having the same issue again after only about 100 miles.

Fast forward to this year.. I just got back from a trip with it, started with a fresh set of plugs and it ran great for part of the day, but then started to do it again, but now it seems more prominent at lower speed, if the throttle is steady at about 30 mph I have a bad exhaust drone noise and can clearly tell its not firing on all cylinders, if I goose the throttle I have low power for a second and then it takes off a runs perfectly fine. I put another set of plugs in it the next day and it runs fine for awhile, but then starts to act up again...

Carbs have been cleaned and adjusted, and it's had numerous tanks of gas run thru it. Spark plugs to me look good.

Ant help or suggestions would be appreciated! Coil pack going bad maybe?

Last edited:

Have you verified your ignition coils are not arc'ing? They were know to have issues with the coils where Yamaha came out with a revision in 2005. Generally, in low light conditions while the sled is running, you may be able to see them arc. Here is a post regarding the arc'ing coils.

Had a brain fart, the sled is a 2005 which should have the updated coils? Will check them regardless. Do you guys recommend OEM coils only?

If you read that post I linked to, the OP had also updated to the newer ignition coils and they were still susceptible to arc'ing; it appears they were superseded in 2004 and not 2005. As for aftermarket vs OEM, I would highly recommend the OEM ones as I recall reading several posts where they had purchased aftermarket ones due to being cheaper but they ended up being junk.

yes oe is best

Another thing to check are the plugs that connect to the coils.
I don't know if the RX-1's throw codes for that, but I was north with an 18 Apex 2 years ago that started to lose 1 or 2 cylinders sometimes and run crappy.
It was the female terminal inside the plug that connects to coils wasn't gripping tight anymore. There was a new sub harness available.

If I'm not mistaken, the RX-1 used spark plugs that either did not have the spark plug cap threaded on it or you had to remove it as that was generally the reason I would replace the spark plugs on my RX-1; the terminals inside the coil packs would wear into the threads and cause grooves and was always concerned that would attribute to them being loose. With my 18 Apex, the spark plug caps are needed and most times the plugs do not have them. I ended purchasing a bag of NKP caps off Amazon. But nonetheless, that would be something to check.

Back