• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Is a TURBO any faster?

Fast Jimmie said:
I'm talking about top speed here.
My dad and I are having this debate yesterday and we didn't get anyware. He says if both sleds spin at 10,400 rpm's and clutches are both engaged fully for top speed (as in a top speed run), the drive ratio (from the engine to the track) would be no different for either and a Turbo cannot go any faster than a stock sled.

He says the only way to go faster is by further changing gearing or running higher rpm's.

Does every turbo guy change his gearing right away?

Waiting for the day I can afford a turbo.

Your Dad is half right because he said the clutches are both engaged fully for top speed. BUT thats not the way they come in the real world, most sleds out there are geared higher than they can actually go. They just don't have enough horsepower. The turbo supplies the horsepower to fully shift out the clutches and therefore it goes faster. In theory your Dad is right, but in the real world he is wrong.

fast jimmie, if they didn't gear the sled high enough, the engine rpms would run away, which could damage the engine, the primary would not be able to close any further, and would lose its ability to apply side pressure to the belt, now only the secondary would be keeping the belt from slipping, because one clutch compensates for the other. this would cause belts to overheat and blow, which would bend cranks, jackshafts, wreck other parts that the belt could grab, smack, disfigure. etc. so its better to overgear unless your dragracing. jeff

Turk said:
I just changed my gearing this week from 24/38 to 25/38 & the 70 link chain still works. 24/38 is not enuff gear for the turbo. I am running a shortie with an x-pert X skid running a 9818 1.25" track.

What difference have you got with the new gear?

Back