• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

It's Official

Thanks Guys!

In answer to the question:

The old existing record was 7,211.25 miles or 11,605 kilometers.

Yves Leblanc, from Gatineau, Quebec beat the record last year by only (point) .4 kilometers which still puzzles me. He used a Ski-Doo GSX and two motors.

The record before last year was held by Tony Lenzi, in the winter of '85 and '86 who rode his Arctic Cat Cougar 7,211 miles or 11,604.6 kilometers.

Reference article: Sno-Tech Magazine Oct/Nov Issue.

The daily average was at that time was 120 miles per day.

It was my goal to absolutely shatter the record so my daily goal was ride at least 200 miles per day. I got ahead of myself so I had "banked" some additional miles, and was able to keep those miles in reserve as a cushion for any maintenance days, or extreme adverse weather days.

Luckily the plan worked. My daily average came to 202.71 miles per day. ;)!

Thanks to all for the acknowledgements,

Speaks volumes for Yamaha's engine program.

Wear and tear on the suspension, bearings, and clutch weights was normal to better than most.

What I am most amazed with is the motor.

Yamaha :4STroke:

WOW

Hondo good thing you did that in a year were they are giving gas away..... :o|

NO seriously, I a very happy for you. In a weird sort of way I bet many of us TY guy's feel like, "Hey I know that guy!"; I was part of or at least aware of that.

WE feel a sense of pride for you and our Yamaha's. ;)!

How many engines? OH ONLY 1, and that had over 20000 when he started.......Great job... can't wait to brag with my POO, DOO and Cat friends.

Great job, I knew by your organized no nonsense approach that record was soon toast.

GREAT WORK
Yamadoo

;)!

Thanks for the acknowlegement Yamadoo,

I appreciate your insightful qualities.

* The cost of gas certainly pinched, but I did budget for the increase in gas prices. Having said that there were times in remote locations in Canada where we paid from $1.50 - 2.00 per liter. When it cost's $48.00 to top off a snowmobile, I tried not to show my pain as I handed over the money. LOL... :o|

Then again, our TY members from Norway and Scandinavia in general are thinking at $2.00 per liter, it's still cheaper to ride on this side of the pond.

* Not bashing just honest discussion; Having read, followed and heard about how many motors it took to travel 7,211.25 miles by last years record setter, I said to myself before I even started that I could go the distance with a motor that had 20,000 plus miles on it and feel perfectly comfortable throughout the Journey.

* There is much planning both long term, short term and reactionary in order to address immediate problems that come up unexpectedly along the way. For example: We had a route planned on Trans-Quebec 33 from an Indian Villiage to the next town 84 miles away. The snowmobile trail had not been groomed the entire year. We were plowing through deep snow and using too much fuel. In order to get to our destination without running out of fuel we boondocked out to a plowed road that paralleled the trail and then rode 54 miles down the side of the road until we got to a trail intersection right before entering the town. Luckily the sides of the road had enough snow to keep the slides lubricated. The decision paid off, but were lucky in the same regard.

Needless to say I am very proud of my little red pony! ;)!

With unwavering tenacity, a Yamaha snowmobile and the support of some incredible people, the unthinkable is possible. Your achievement is a testament to that.

Despite surpassing the previous record nearly half way through your trek, you pushed through and continued with conviction, full boar across the finish line. That's passion Bob.

Congratulations from Nick and Sean!

hondo said:
Then again, our TY members from Norway and Scandinavia in general are thinking at $2.00 per liter, it's still cheaper to ride on this side of the pond.
quote]

Congrats HONDO! awesome testament to the durability of the Venture and your passion for this sport!

Yep! We pay around 8,30 USD for a gallon here.....

Ike

Congratulations!

I put 10,000 km on my RX-1 in less than 60 days and didn't realize that was close to the "old" record.

You totally blew the old record away. Close to 20,000 km in 60 days is very impressive and quite an accomplishment.

With 36,033 miles (57,653 km) on the sled and original motor I'd assume it is finally starting to burn at least a little oil. How much oil does it go through?

Three responses in one post:

For Curve Industries: Sean and Nick,

Ike and ReX,

Thank you Guys for your acknowledgements and celebrating this achievement.

Honestly, I didn't want to leave too much on the table knowing that records are made to be broken.

Hopefully the bar is set high enough where this record may last for at least a year or two.

It certainly is a testiment to the durability of these machines, especially the motor.

With gas being that much higher in Scandinavia, I would have to limit my riding to an occasional "Sunday Ride" WOW!!! :o|

I still don't see oil usage in the sled. It's quite remarkable!!! I have faithfully changed the oil every 2,000 miles.

Thanks again and all the best! ;)!

Thanks Coldone,

There is a pretty good amount of effort involved on a daily basis.

The key is to be steady, take one day at a time, stay mentally focused, and try to maintain composure.

At times, the latter is easier said than done. LOL... ;)!

Back