• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Klim Klimate vs Keweenaw

Well said biffdotorg.

Two pages and it doesn’t look like anybody actually answered the OP’s question about the differences between the two jackets. The Klimate and the Keweenaw are both insulated parkas. The Klimate is more of a price point option. It has fewer pockets and fewer ventilation ports. Fewer vents means it will have have a narrower range of temperatures where the rider is comfortable. If I was going to have only one jacket I would have spent the extra money and gone with the Keweenaw. I bought the Klimate for my cold weather riding. Above zero I switch over to the Klim Tomahawk or Powerxross. Both are not insulated. I ride with a chest protector and I keep a FXR fleece mid layer in my storage bag that I can add or remove to fine tune my body temperature during the day. I also have the Klimate bibs which are great for midwest trail riding but are too warm for riding out west.

I have the Klimate jacket too. It has worked very well for me. If it is real cold I layer up. I use a breathable long john style under shirt, a Klim long sleeve jersey, then I have a Klim Inferno zip up under jacket, then the Klimate jacket. If it's not as cold I skip the Inferno jacket underneath.

The thing that irks me lately is they must have changed their vendor overseas who makes their gloves. Every Klim model I try, medium, large, xxl, xxxl all feel tight. Like there is not much difference from one size to the next......they all feel small.

I can say the same for almost every helmet on the market. The Chinese must use themselves for reference. I used to get by in the old Bell Wedge days 30 years ago with a large or xlarge helmet. Now I have to have a xxxl in almost every brand. I haven't gained that much weight over the years...... 170 in high school, 195-200 these days.

I can say the same for almost every helmet on the market. The Chinese must use themselves for reference.

Actually there is some truth to that, and the helmet MFG's that distribute worldwide adjust for it. A few years back I ordered an Arai helmet out of Japan as it was only distributed in the US and Europe in solid colors (black, white, silver) and the ones in Japan were Red with graphics for the same helmet. I was warned that the sizes that only were in Japan hard thicker cheek pads as it is well known the Asian face is narrower. So most had to order thinner cheek pads. That's why Arai sells different thickness of cheekpads for the buckets.

I stuck with the stockers and after 40K miles or so, it has packed out. I suppose it is time to change it out. But they are so damn expensive, I didn't care to buy another. Maybe when I buy my new bike.

I've worn both jackets. The Keweenaw is definitely a warmer jacket, with a back snow dust skirt that really helps keeping your butt warmer. The Klimate is a nice jacket too...lighter with less thickness all way round. I sold my Klimate and opted for the bigger Keweenah as one particular time on a very cold (-32 C) 3 hr ride back to our trucks, I was cold around my core with the Klimate. That said, I only had a Klim long sleeve base layer, and a very thin fleece mid layer. I've ridden the same temperature last yr in Northern Gaspe at 2 in the morning, with the Keweenah, and was considerably warmer.

I like the heavier jacket for that reason, but do miss the lighter weight of the Klimate when riding on warmer days. But a simple opening of vents (on both), solve the overheating problem. Ideally, having both jackets (or similar), would be great, but pick your poison I s'pose.

My problem now is...I've lost 65 lbs, and had to sell my full Klim suit. Ordered and received a brand new XL Keweenah jacket and bibs from Fortnine...but the damned jacjet was too tight around the front of my shoulders...like...waaay too tight. Had to send it all back. Am thinking strongly of the Motorfist gear now.

Good luck

Didn't the klimate spec change at one point? If I recall correctly, it is now more insulated than keweenaw, other details aside.

Yes it is, updated with more / thicker insulate. But Keweenah is still a heavier, more robust colder weather parka.

But..both awesome gear choices imo. Still think you'd wanna layer a bit bulkier with the Klimate on those REALLY cold-40C nights though...lol.

I have the updated klimate jacket and bibs. The jacket is the all black with the white lettering. They upped the insulation and the insulation material is all new. Have to say I was impressed.
My buddy has the old style klimate stuff and there is a noticeable difference. I always layer and was not cold at all. Touring Quebec last year in some ridiculous temps I was fine but my buddy was cold to the core by the days end. Did I wish the klimate had more venting options at times... YES but all in all very happy with the proper layering. Highly recommend the jacket and bibs.

I have the Keweenaw jacket and Klim Powder pants, Klim boots, and other gear. The jacket is WARM. Designed with pockets everywhere, sealed zippers, keeps the snow out, under arm vents, and fits good with a tec vest.

Since we got shelled with tons of snow this past week, I took the time to utilize the boot gator snap down to the D-ring on the Klim boot. Such a simple little feature, that truly kept my pant legs down when jumping off the sled in deep ditches and drifts.

To this day, my only real beef with the Keweenaw jacket would be the lack of a zip out liner. On warm days, I can open all the vents and keep cool. But a zip out would be nice for warm days and washing. Otherwise, it is a great piece of equipment.

Anyone know how far after the season it is until they discount things they get stuck with? Looking a the Keweenaw now and according to the website the current model has a zip out liner. Nice feature but I can also see some non current models from prior year much cheaper.

i think i ordered my stuff in april and i ended up with current model year stuff at the discounted price as they shipped the return the day i ordered my stuff online.

hello, I am looking for a new jacket and bibs this year and I have narrowed it down to a Klim suit, how does the Klimate parka/bibs compare to the Keweenaw? Also any info on the fxr Adrenaline or Team FX is appreciated aswell. Thanks
Keweenaw is awesome bit more money but lifetime warranty

My experience is don’t waist your money on Klim, go down to your local hardware store, buy some window screen and wrap that around yourself and go riding. That’s a good comparison to the Klim suits you buy now a days, there not water proof, nor wind proof and definitely not warm! IMO
total crap

hello, I am looking for a new jacket and bibs this year and I have narrowed it down to a Klim suit, how does the Klimate parka/bibs compare to the Keweenaw? Also any info on the fxr Adrenaline or Team FX is appreciated aswell. Thanks
This thread started in 2017. Hopefully you already bought new gear by 2021. Lol. FXR online is completely sold out of Team gear. Team is high quality bibs and jackets for trail riders. I have no idea what Klim gear is available but probably sold out too. Good luck shopping now not much out there.

Keweenaw is awesome bit more money but lifetime warranty

My experience is don’t waist your money on Klim, go down to your local hardware store, buy some window screen and wrap that around yourself and go riding. That’s a good comparison to the Klim suits you buy now a days, there not water proof, nor wind proof and definitely not warm! IMO

total crap

Actually, what is total crap is Klim's supposedly "lifetime warranty" claim. I have a Klimate bib and to show its age, it was branded with Yamaha back when they were partners with Klim. Well, had the zipper go bad where some of the teeth broke off and caused the zipper to go off track. Took pictures of bib and then Klim had me send them in for further review and upon their inspection, concluded my bib had served out its usefulness due to some abrasions or rub areas in the crotch area that were caused by my leather jacket. Those abrasions had nothing to do with the zipper failing but this was their response:

"Thank you for your email. The $85 would be just for the new front center zipper. Because of all the damaged panels on the bib, we consider the lifetime of these is up and that is why we charge for the zipper."

Had them ship the bib back and went to a local shoe repair/seamstress shop to have them replace the zipper for a whopping $25. Not sure my next bib will be Klim because that lifetime warranty claim is not all what it's hyped up to be.

Back