• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Lighten XTX steering/front end

bbrunick

Veteran
I have a stock XTX with dual carbides on stock ski's. I would like to make the steering lighter but not push in the corners or dart. Any ideas? I asked last year but am hoping a full year with the XTX might have generated some new ideas.

Ideas I'm considering

1. Float 2 shocks to make the front end lighter
2. Ski Doo Pilot 5.7 ski
4. Ski Doo Pilot 6.9 (float off trail)
5. Steering Relocation Mod to improve leverage, raise the bars

I mainly trail ride in the UP and in Minnesota but would like to explore more off trail. I'm coming from a 05 REV 600 and love the yamaha but hate the heavy steering.

Thanks,

There are a number of suspension settings that will certainly help ease steering pressure, such as softening the ski shocks pressures, increase the preload on the center track shock, softening preload on the rear track shock, increase weight transfer with the control rods, and softening the torsion springs. Have you tried messing around with these settings at all? If not, it's the cheapest way.

Also, having a dual carbide runner is probably contributing to your heavy steering, as well as push in the corners. Go with a single carbide.

Other tips to try:
- Shim the ski rubbers to increase the rearward pressure on the skis.
- Try a set of ski savers from Bergstrom skegs.
- Adjust the handlebars where it feels comfortable for you.
- Lubricate all steering linkages, tie rods, check bushings, ie. check your steering system for tightness/binding.

Then you could look at a set of skis that help ease steering, but remember easier steering skis usually means less bite in the corners.

I took some pressure off the front end by adjusting the center track shot (I believe, dealer did this more me). It make the rear end a bit squirly under braking but I have not adjusted it back to stock. I've heard the stock ski's dart without a dual carbide...

bbrunick said:
I took some pressure off the front end by adjusting the center track shot (I believe, dealer did this more me). It make the rear end a bit squirly under braking but I have not adjusted it back to stock. I've heard the stock ski's dart without a dual carbide...

you said you are running a dual carbide, what is the length? 4" or 6" sounds like you have a lot of carbide which will give you a workout in the twisties. 5.7 pilots are a great option but with the XTX 6.9 would be better

Southern Renegade said:
bbrunick said:

you said you are running a dual carbide, what is the length? 4" or 6" sounds like you have a lot of carbide which will give you a workout in the twisties. 5.7 pilots are a great option but with the XTX 6.9 would be better

what about on frozen or crusty trails...any darting or squirrely behavior with this setup?

I believe I have a 6" carbide, I need to check. With the long track, I would asusme 4" would not be enough. Anyone running Bergstrom triple points? what length?

Back