• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Lithium ion Battery...please read

Just wanted to add a quick note here on the topic. While reading aged posts on the subject I was concerned that Shorai had changed the specs on their batteries recently.
After going on the Shorai site I noticed that all the LFX batteries have a BMS, but operating temp info was vague. I reached out to the company and this is what I was told.

"The BMS does not contain a cold weather cutoff and under cranking loads it allows essentially 100% of capacity to be used. The BMS was first employed in mid 2022 and we have had no complaints about decreased cold-weather performance (nor would we expect any, given the programming)

It is mainly there to protect from very low, long term drain from parasite loads.

Shorai Service"

So while the company has recently added the BMS they did not limit operating temps for cold weather.

Just wanted to add a quick note here on the topic. While reading aged posts on the subject I was concerned that Shorai had changed the specs on their batteries recently.
After going on the Shorai site I noticed that all the LFX batteries have a BMS, but operating temp info was vague. I reached out to the company and this is what I was told.

"The BMS does not contain a cold weather cutoff and under cranking loads it allows essentially 100% of capacity to be used. The BMS was first employed in mid 2022 and we have had no complaints about decreased cold-weather performance (nor would we expect any, given the programming)

It is mainly there to protect from very low, long term drain from parasite loads.

Shorai Service"

So while the company has recently added the BMS they did not limit operating temps for cold weather.
This doesn't pertain to me personally, as I ride mostly in 20°f. And purchased an Earthx battery last season.
Yes, the battery will use all of its available power to start your sled. But can it be charged in -30°f??
There in lies the question, that honestly has never been answered, to my knowledge.

Im Guessing here that they are saying, their BMS is only for low voltage drain.... most other companies BMS is for low temp charging and will not allow it.. this then blows the voltage regulator on the sled.... found out the hard way!!! NOCO.... great battery in ATV and SEADOO.... not anything that operates at -10 and below.....

This doesn't pertain to me personally, as I ride mostly in 20°f. And purchased an Earthx battery last season.
Yes, the battery will use all of its available power to start your sled. But can it be charged in -30°f??
There in lies the question, that honestly has never been answered, to my knowledge.
Yes as the BMS essentially ignores the temp value.

On a side note, I installed the Shoria in my Yami GP1800R and if anybody chooses to use this battery in their PWC do yourself a favor and put threaded studs into the battery terminals!!!! Saves allot of curse words trying to reach into that tight engine bay with a bolt that is barely long enough to thread into the terminal boss.

P.S. I might actually go this route with the battery when it's in the sled because at this point with all the electrical connections it would make life easier.

Back