• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Longer track VS Deeper lug

MikeWalters

TY 4 Stroke Master
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2007 Phazer
Hey guys, I'm not on a Nytro but this mountain forum seems to be the most active...

looking for some input on better deep snow performance. I don't ride mountains yet, 100% backcountry riding. I put an 1.5" lug track that has a similar profile to the Camoplast backcountry track on my Phazer. The flotation and deeper snow performance was unreal for a short track. I can get stuck when making sharp turns in the deep powder, also with the shorty can't really come to a stop in the deep snow.

So I am wondering if I should go 136x1.75", or 144x1.5". Keeping in mind the Phazer is pretty light and the front end floats very well. Either way I would gear down 1 tooth. I am a little hesitant to go longer track because set up as is on this Phazer absolutely rips for a 500. With limited hp I don't want to turn it into a 'dog' if you see my point here.

I've ridden some Nytro 162's, cat 154(?), and a skud 154. All of them feel too long for the riding I do, so wondering if any of you can give pros and cons of deeper lug vs longer footprint.

thanks for any help ! :sled1:

144" with 1.75" lug in a backcountry should be great. Had them on our nytros and they were a pretty decent track - much better than the stock 144 finger track that was standard on the phazer mtn. Othe big issue with the phazer is the approach angle of the skid - its too steep in stock form an would be better if it was reduced.

I remember the wifes phased before I sold it, and it would tractor anywhere with the factory 2.25x14 track. You could just not go over 25 mph in the deep stuff, and an medium size hill, forget about it. I wanted to put a 153-155x2.25 on it but never got the chance. Seems like it would pull it ok, but lacked real track speed to any bigger. 144x1.75 might be a good way to go as it should pull ok and not lose much top end. Anything but a maverick should be ok, they just tend to fold too easy and you lose forward momentum because you don't have big hp to punch out. Sure was fun to put around on though. ;)!

Mike:

Couch is dead on about approach angle. I went to the EZ-ryde skid when I stretched my Phazer to 136 for two reasons: 1) the skid carries less snow, so I was hoping to offset some of the added weight that I would gain by stretching to 136, and 2) the rail profile of the EZ-Ryde has a less aggressive approach angle, making it a better skid for off trial riding. I've included pic showing the approach angle of my skid below.

I went with a Freeride track only because I ride trails 90% of the time, and a 1.75 lug is too big IMO when the trails are hard-packed or iced up. I prefer off trial riding, but there just aren't a lot of places where I can go off-trail in my area, so the Freeride is a good compromise. I find that the torque of this motor down low really allows the sled to crawl or "tractor" without getting stuck. The is especially true in dry conditions ... if the snow is wet, then it's a different story, as I find that I am more likely to trench as the skid and tunnel begin holding more snow. I can stop in fairly deep dry powder, and start up again with getting stuck most of the time. But I have to keep moving in wet deep snow or I'll get stuck for sure. I would think you could reduce your approach angle with some skid setback, but too much can also cause problems (like stabbing), so there is a limit to how far you can go.

If all you do is off-trail riding, the 144 x 1.75 should work well with the sled's torque and HP. The 144 will provide noticeably better flotation IMO. Coming from a 121, I think the extra length of the 144 is something that you'll get use to, and will probably like it more after you get some seat time with it. ;)!

136PhazerRTX2_zps1c00edf0.jpg

OVR4D I see what you mean about approach angle, that ez-ryde looks fantastic in that respect. Yes I am 100% off trail. Might start looking for a 144 skid that has been taken out of another sled. Extensions are pretty cheap though too. I just thought 144 might be a bit long when hitting the ditches. I am probably 40% ditches, 60% backcountry (fields, deep snow, etc). I think 1.75" sounds good with the feedback I have got here, just not sure about 136 or 144.

Back