• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Looking at a Used Turbo Apex

Garmash

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 Yamaha Apex LTX GT 40th Anniversary
2008 Yamaha Nytro RTX
Hello all,

Been searching here and there for an apex for the upcoming season, finally in a position to try and pull the trigger. Figured I better check in with the guru's before I buy myself into trouble.

Was hoping to get some buying advice when looking at a turbo apex, namely an 08' Simons CPR built example that is not too far from me. I have seen some of the old posts about the headers cracking, and about which turbo kits were the best when they came out. But that was 15+ years ago. What I would like to know is if anybody in the boosted family is still riding on one of those kits from back in the day (any turbo builder) and how it has been to you. I just sold myself out of a lemon and don't want to buy a turbo sled if it means I will be having more major problems in 500 miles. That being said, I am capable of working on them and if I can do a couple of mods before disaster to earn myself a reliably boosted sled, I would be plenty willing to do it.

Thanks!

Hello all,

Been searching here and there for an apex for the upcoming season, finally in a position to try and pull the trigger. Figured I better check in with the guru's before I buy myself into trouble.

Was hoping to get some buying advice when looking at a turbo apex, namely an 08' Simons CPR built example that is not too far from me. I have seen some of the old posts about the headers cracking, and about which turbo kits were the best when they came out. But that was 15+ years ago. What I would like to know is if anybody in the boosted family is still riding on one of those kits from back in the day (any turbo builder) and how it has been to you. I just sold myself out of a lemon and don't want to buy a turbo sled if it means I will be having more major problems in 500 miles. That being said, I am capable of working on them and if I can do a couple of mods before disaster to earn myself a reliably boosted sled, I would be plenty willing to do it.

Thanks!
Hi, I have an 06 apex with a boondocker kit, have owned it for about 8years

Turbo sleds are a lot of work, so be ready. I stretch out chains in the chaincase every other year. Heat management needs focus. The front mount header were prone to cracking based on internet but I am not sure how many others who didn't crack ever piped up to say that. I went with a Impulse header because it was supported. I have beat on it, crashed, it, rebuilt it, compound boosted it now and no header issues ever.

Maintenance is key you will need a lot of it, go through the sled with a fine tooth comb and be thinking about how things fail. Once your done and why I love the apex on boost, is turn the key and ride all winter. Next summer go through it again. This is assuming the sled is set up right with the lowered compression and you use good fuel and well tuned. Its so worth it though!

Hello all,

Thanks!
The CPR kit on the sled I am selling for a TY member had the header cracking issue. It was repaired many times and he gave up on it and got a completely different header from Turbine Tech which has been problem free.

Back