• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Looking for a GPS

MXD

Pro
I am looking for a GPS that I can hard wire to my Apex. I am looking for 2 key features, the ability to track my route, and the ability to save and download that route to a pc to build a trail map. Any ideas?

I've settled on a Garmin Etrex Legend CX with bundle pack. I believe it's $299 or maybe $349 after rebate at Dick's Sporting goods if you have those by you, plus you'll have to buy a mount ($20ish?). Has all of your requirements and much more...full color. The bundle pack includes the downloadable US topo maps on CD, cig lighter adapter, 64 meg memory chip, and probably something else I can't remember right now...They sell a black/white version of the same basic unit for almost $100 less I believe.

I haven't actually bought it yet to offer a first hand report, but after rather extensive research this is the one I've settled on and will be running this winter...

GPS

I have a Magellan Meridan Color and this thing is great, I hunt, fish, ride and travel. You can load highway information and topo on this, unit has more options than I can remember and always gets me there and back with out a doubt the best hand held unit I have seen and very user friendly. I got mine as a bundle from the Dick's on-line store. I want to say around $300.00 with the highway maping, car mount, lighter adapter, computer adapter with software to down load and print maps. You won't be disappointed. ;)!

I'm going to run a Garmin etrex Legend C this winter. I've been playing with it all summer and love it. I don't regret buying it one bit.

A buddy I ride with has the Garmin eTrex Legend thats what got me intrested in buying one.

CHECK OUT THE GARMIN RINO 530
USA VERSION 5W
CANADIAN VERSION 2W

WE PURCHASED 5 @ 415.USA EA.

Just went with the Garmin 76 CSx. Electronic compass, atmospheric altimeter so you can do basic weather forecasting.

Ordered a 2GB card to load maps into.

Also got the GPS Quebec snowmobile trail maps to load into it.

Be interesting to see it all work... :)

All I can say is get the biggest screen you can... I have an e-trex and with the smaller screen, you sometimes have to zoom way in to see the details and when you do you can loose perspective of the bigger picture and where things are in relation to each other.

I too have a Magellan Meridian Color gps which works great. I used to have a Garmin Etrex but screen was too small. Hard to see when your flying down the trail. I suggest going with a bigger screen if possible. Plus the color makes it mor visible to see. I have a handlebar mount and installed a power outlet and hide to gps cord under the handle bar cover.
The only thing is with any gps is that they get a little sluggish when riding in temps below zero. I believe some suggested taping a handle bar warmer to the back of the unit to help this problem. Hope this helps. :yam:

K-fab said:

Holy crap...I can't imagine trying to stuff that unit into my coat pocket to prevent it from being snatched during a restaurant/bar stop! Cool looking unit though. Perfect for a truck.

IMO smaller has some great benefits. Max screen size possible is nice I have to agree...and my Etrex screen is on the small side. But I feel you gotta keep the unit small...easier to remove/hide/store/mount, less likely to snap off and do body panel damage under it's own weight during a hard landing, rollover, rogue branch, etc.

And frankly I see little benefit to a GPS for riding marked trails. My Etrex is new, but I've run them for years, and I leave mine at home on trail riding days as it's primarily a boondocking tool for me, but everyone's different I guess and that's OK. I wouldn't look at a GPS screen of ANY size while "flying down the trail" anyway, far too dangerous. Kinda scares the crap outta me to consider that others might be doing this.

GPS is a great tool to quickly glance at while at a complete stop and you're not sure which way to go. And a potential lifesaver when lost deep off trail. And maybe spend 5 minutes in the evening saving tracks of where you've been. Beyond that IMO it becomes an annoying and potentially dangerous toy that detracts from the snowmobiling experience for everyone else around (except the user himself of course). They're not much different from cell phones and Ipods in a lot of ways...

KISS

I read in one of the sled mags that someone has one with the trail systems installed for NY and Wisc. They were supposed to have the MI trails available by this season. Has anyone heard of this?

Some rumors: the only ones that I know about for certain are the GPSQuebec.com maps for Quebec (and Ontario is in development).

And they only support Garmin, ideally models with autorouting capability.

Back