• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Loose steering

Apex2006RTX

Extreme
I seen it here before but i cant find it now!!!!I want to take some "slop" out of my handlebars, what kits are acceptable for the amount and where is a good place to get them in canada or that will ship to canada?

thanks

Start with new billet aluminum and Oillite OFT steering blocks. Procure three blocks for your apex and replace you worn out plastic steering blocks on your sled. Replacing these 3 blocks with OFT ones will reduce 85 percent or so of your steering slop. If you want even tighter, replace your warn front end bushings with oilite bushings. Thus will remove a lot also.

Next is more difficult: start replacing pieces of your steering linkages. Sounds crazy, I know, but I did this summer and replaced most of my whole steering system with new, oem parts. That took out most every last bit of slop.

Also to look into is play/ movement
By your skis. Some skis aren't held on
Three firm snd the ski have play where they mount to the spindles. If a fled has this, it will leave the rider with the sensation the sled is darting and hunting.

There are steering blocks (OFT makes upgraded ones) and front end bushings (Ulmers Oillite are upgraded ones).

Replacing both will remove almost all slop in your handle bars. You have to dig deeper into th steering to remove all movement/ slop.

you can grind a bit off the steel sleeve when installing the new, or old plastic blocks to allow you to tighten them down. Do a little at a time, then test. Too tight and stearing is too tight. You can remove all the slop for free with the stock blocks and a little time. I add grease fittings to them while I am in there but just greasing them once with good grease will last a long time.
Ulmers bushing kits are a must on the front end. Also, a forgoten one is the sway bar bushing.

BETHEVIPER is absolutely on the mark with his suggestion. Take a little off the steel spacers and the mating surfaces of the u-shapped blocks, and reassemble with wheel bearing grease (doesn't wash away) and enjoy years of showroom steering feel.

I just went with the OFT kit, took a 95% of the slop away and wasn't a hard job to replace them.

Back