• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Loose steering...

Dodgeman said:
Dodge dakota 4WD has steering box, collapsing assembly, pitman arm, idler arm, inner tie rod end, outer tie rod end. Lower control arm bushing, upper control arm bushings, lower ball joint & upper ball joints.

More than the Phazer, less play. It's actually the same setup as the Phazer, except the pitman / idler, and the inner and outer wheel bearing.
The lower balljoints aren't changeable, you must change the entire LCA to change the ball joint. $375 a piece.

Give me a break its nothing even close to what a Phazer has.You need to come up with something more comparable.

Both systems are remote compound lever unequel length control arm systems, with a comparable number of joints. The phazer has 8 of the 10 joints the dodge has....The only real difference is in the steering box (essentially a ratio difference) on the truck. Explain why they are different? Moving on....the play in the Phazer steering is in the steering shaft mechanism, not the LCA assembly. I was only using the above to make that point. Lets move forward..... Maybe we can find out why the shaft is so loose....

How many of the Dodge joints are doing 90deg duty?Slip joints,steering columns and ujoints along with steering boxes and all the other styles which we dont have cannot be compared since they cannot be used on our sleds.Ours goes radically around the motor.Not even close to a truck which is at a very conservative angle.Also dont forget Dodge also went to Rack and Pinion on all there new trucks.Why would that be?Because it feels better and has tighter feel when driving.Nothing wrong with old system but its what people want.If enough people want tighter bars on sleds we get it.IE over motor steering on Nytro.

Maybe slop is in different places on different sleds.If in steering shaft some have found the bearing retainer loose.Once that is fixed I would be pretty confident you will find slop elsewhere also.

In past have bought high dollar stainless Hiems with Kevlar linings the fit of the bearing is not consistant.Only joints that are consistant wiegh a ton(like dodge) or are adjustable/replaceable bearing.If you take that little inconsistancy and multiply it by the number of joints we have especially the Spherical/heim joints(which dodge has none)+the slop in LCA which is designed to be there=slop at bars.
Lastly do a search on Dodge joints.You will find that there was a massive recall on them.Not knocking Dodge since Toyota and others have had same recalls.It just goes to show that consistancy is very difficult to maintain on a joint.Especially a Heim like we have which has no system to put pressure on it which takes up play.

Well, I took pics, but they aren't really worth posting.

I guess all the heim joints / bushings / ect have a tiny amount of play which all adds up. I have 1-1/2" pf play at the bar ends.

My friends 05' rev has about 1/4"... it just feels soo much tighter.

As far as making a durable sled in the Phazer, Yam fails.

:(

I agree its embarrassing and if something is loose or worn out it should be found but look at the small package Yamaha had to work in.We all know the Phazer is shrinkwrapped.That is big part of appeal to me.Even though my Phazer weighs more than a TNT it still feels lighter to me when driving my Phazer.The tight body work must have something to do with that perception.

BTW Pitman, idler & tierods on the truck are all 90 degrees.....And remeber the pitman and idler are 4 joints at 90 degrees, not 2.....
Next time I will compare it to a REV.....My point was the Phazer is the only sled that is that bad @ low miles.
Peace

Back