• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Massive Oil Leak!

My friend has the exact same sled as yours and we switched last weekend for about 10 miles...I have to say the Cat with the 129 skid does not feel planted at all compared to my LTX 137....also the Yamaha clutches seem to have a different feel than the Cats. My friend liked the 137 so much he's gonna get one for next year.

My friend has the exact same sled as yours and we switched last weekend for about 10 miles...I have to say the Cat with the 129 skid does not feel planted at all compared to my LTX 137....also the Yamaha clutches seem to have a different feel than the Cats. My friend liked the 137 so much he's gonna get one for next year.
Same here, I love how planted my ltx feels, but I think that's mostly from the tuner ski's, rode an ltx last weekend with slydogs and couldn't keep under control if I tried.

That's the problem. When we Think we know, what we're doing, then it's time to regroup and double check. Lesson learned. I Did limp it, about 1/2 dozen times, to get closer to the landing. In this case, I Really Like the oil cut off feature. Oil light off, blink, blink, solid, shut down.

Counting the oil needed to load on the trailer, and re-fill, I used 4 1/2 quarts of YamaLube. Would have been only 4 1/4 but I over filled. Had to draw some back out. Ran for a couple minutes at 195 fan on. Seemed like it wouldn't cool any further. But the garage was already up to 50 degrees, so I guess that makes sense. Site glass is dead on at 1/2. I did re-use my new/used oil filter. But only one o-ring this time! LOL!

006%20Fixed_zpsx33vimax.jpg

We'll try again tomorrow. This is why we do shake down cruises. Next weekend heading for better snow. Much appreciated everyone's support. Even though I'm a Viper in Cat's cloths.
I have the exact same sled. What windshield is that? Mine just has the tiny white one and it doesn't block much wind.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I have the exact same sled. What windshield is that? Mine just has the tiny white one and it doesn't block much wind.
Mine started out like that.

001XF700FrontSide_zpsa639ef24.jpg

I added a mid height wind sheild overlayed to the original.

008MidHeight2_zps5b5c1ec0.jpg

Takes some creativity, but can be d0ne. Plan was to retain somewhat "the look", yet add wind protection. It works!

Add the Cold Guard Hand Guards and 200 mile days are what I long for.

013%20Tony%20on%20side%20of%20trail_zpsqacu64hn.jpg

Hope this Saturday meets that expectation. Took about a 40 mile ride to burn off some of the stink today. Four stroke residual oil smells much worse that 2 stroke. Hope this whole embarrassing, oil filter fiasco is behind me now.

Same here, I love how planted my ltx feels, but I think that's mostly from the tuner ski's, rode an ltx last weekend with slydogs and couldn't keep under control if I tried.
You just needed more time to get aquainted LOL. Funny that I was thinking the same thing when I got off your sled. I did shim the Dogs after Munising, and that did make a significant improvement on the darty, but tuners they are not. If you spend your time on the groomed trails, by all means, tuners are the way to go. We play in the deep so often, that the tuners had to go. I personally like the feel of the Slydogs all around. They are more like sport racing tires on the trail, and you do feel everything on the trail, and it does take some getting used to. I will admit like everything else, that they aren't for everyone.

Sorry to high jack the thread.

You nailed it! You know, I've been changing oil for over 40 years. I Know to double check for a stuck o-ring. No clue how this one got missed.

See the bulging o-ring?

004%20Bulging%20Gasket_zpszxzbgxpr.jpg

Here it is.

005%20Double%20Gasket_zpsvy0bljzb.jpg

Unbelievable! In God we trust, all others we check, including myself!

I'll definitely double check the hoses. The oil separater should be fine. It's been in the garage the whole time. First attempted ride, this season, was today. But, In God we trust, all others we check, including myself. So, I will check.

I'm going back out to clean up the mess as much as possible. Haven't decided if I'm reusing this filter, or picking up a new one tomorrow.

It happens! Seen this on a blue/white viper before lucky it happened in the garage right before the ride rather then during the ride.

i did that once. didnt notice the old gasket stuck on block. it didnt leak untill you gave it some gas and the oil pressure went up. a mess

Back