• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Missing secondary bolt shims?

fourbarrel

Building a collection one sled at a time
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2019 SRX
I'm guessing there are some shims missing on my secondary bolt because when I tighten the bolt up it's opening the sheaves. I had both primary and secondary apart today to inspect and clean them. I noticed the primary in great shape so a quick spray and rinse to clean out any dust and a scuff on the sheaves and a rinse,bolt.it back on and shed good to go. While I had the secondary apart I noticed the lack of a belt deflection shim in the middle and no offset shims on the jackshaft. But it wasn't until I went to tighten the bolt back up that I saw the sheaves opening as the bolt tightened the last couple threads. You guys will have to bear with me here as these 4 winder clutches are a different animal than what I'm used to so this is a learning experience for me as I go. Thankfully I did manage to get a pdf of the service manual, thank you Tom,and this will help until my paper copy comes. I never paid enough attention to the clutches and the belt ride height relationship before I tore into things so I'm catching these things as input it all back together. Firstly I guess I need to order/make shims for the main bolt so it bottoms out on the jackshaft and not spread the secondary and then need to address to offset which I measured with a straightedge and a metric caliper. I'm getting 61mm and noticed the agreed spec should be 57-59?. I'm planning to order the Hurricane offset tool as there's a few guys around here with winders now and I'm sure it'll get well used. The pic shows what I have for washers/shims now on the bolt,spread out so they can be seen.

Attachments

• 20201204_193157_compress4.jpg
    20201204_193157_compress4.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 127

Yes. I thought maybe they fell off and were laying in the bellypan but no. Now that I think about it before I took the belt off the clutches I remembered it was below the lip of the secondary so the previous owner must've been doing some messing around with them.

I'm not real sure how this roller secondary works but I think that if all the washers are out the belt is riding as high as it can in the secondary. If you add a washer it will push on the helix and open it up giving you more belt deflection(dropping the belt in the secondary)I'm not sure tho can someone chime in that has adjusted there belt deflection. I haven't even had my clutch's off yet still working on rear skid.

The shims don't push on the helix, the large washer does.
Adding shims to bolt = belt sitting higher in secondary

Ok that makes sense how many washers are there and where are they located when not in use. In front of the washer.

I usually put my extra shims in my tool kit.
Possible the original owner put them in there or between the large washer and head of bolt.

What I'm missing are shims for the float of the secondary,well I'm missing the deflection one too but my initial issue was the the large flat washer was pushing the secondary open as I tightened up the clutch bolt.I found a washer that cured that problem so now the bolt tightens up and allows about 2 or 3mm of float now but I need to work on my offset and belt deflection.What are you all running for offset? I'm at 60.5 to 61mm but after watching some videos on the various adjustments it seems 57mm is the preferred measurement?From what I can gather after wrapping my head around how the offset and deflection is set with shims is that one setting affect the other measurement.If I adjust my deflection for belt wear then I'd have to also check my offset to make sure I'm still at my setting.Correct?

Where are the shims for the belt deflection at from the factory does the machine come with them or do you need to purchase them. I guess I'll have to pull mine off and see what's up.

What I'm missing are shims for the float of the secondary,well I'm missing the deflection one too but my initial issue was the the large flat washer was pushing the secondary open as I tightened up the clutch bolt.I found a washer that cured that problem so now the bolt tightens up and allows about 2 or 3mm of float now but I need to work on my offset and belt deflection.What are you all running for offset? I'm at 60.5 to 61mm but after watching some videos on the various adjustments it seems 57mm is the preferred measurement?From what I can gather after wrapping my head around how the offset and deflection is set with shims is that one setting affect the other measurement.If I adjust my deflection for belt wear then I'd have to also check my offset to make sure I'm still at my setting.Correct?

These clutches are different than the older Yamaha secondaries. There is no float in the secondary until the clutch starts to open. Deflection is set using the shims on the secondary bolt. When you tighten the bolt, the large washer will open the secondary slightly, setting your belt deflection. As you add washers, the belt rises in the secondary. Take away washers and the belt will sit lower in the secondary. Seems a little backwards at first, but if you look at it, it makes sense.

The owners manual also explains how to check offset and belt deflection. Even has pictures.
Maybe you guys should check it out.
You would be surprised on how many people never read their owners manual.

I have service and owner's manual i just haven't got this far into it yet. Still need to install skid and change oil on this new to me SideWinder. We have no snow and nothing in the forecast im really starting to loss intrest in this sport seems to get worse and worse every year. Back to the secondary I don't know if I'll even mess with the stock clutching i have new Viper primary and secondary i could throw on. Still up in the air on tunning it this year or keeping it stock decisions, decisions

I have service and owner's manual i just haven't got this far into it yet. Still need to install skid and change oil on this new to me SideWinder. We have no snow and nothing in the forecast im really starting to loss intrest in this sport seems to get worse and worse every year. Back to the secondary I don't know if I'll even mess with the stock clutching i have new Viper primary and secondary i could throw on. Still up in the air on tunning it this year or keeping it stock decisions, decisions

Tune it. No questions asked. It’s almost sacrilegious to keep one of these sleds stock. Also. The stock clutches work great when setup correctly. There is no benefit to using the viper clutches.

Never got the owners manual with my sled but I'm hoping the dealer I bought it from can find it so I'm working off the downloaded service manual. I keep trying to go back to what I've been doing with my older SRXs and how I set up the clutches on those. Between what I have been reading and Rockerdans videos on how he sets his up it was a little confusing to try and overlap both and apply a the information. Now that I see the deflection is set off the clutch bolt from the factory and not with shims between the sheaves it is much clearer and now I can move forward with getting these clutches set.
Does anyone use the floating secondary like Dan or do you all stuck with the factory way of doing it?

These clutches are different than the older Yamaha secondaries. There is no float in the secondary until the clutch starts to open. Deflection is set using the shims on the secondary bolt. When you tighten the bolt, the large washer will open the secondary slightly, setting your belt deflection. As you add washers, the belt rises in the secondary. Take away washers and the belt will sit lower in the secondary. Seems a little backwards at first, but if you look at it, it makes sense.
Yeah I had to go back and re read the pages of the secondary settings to make it sink in. I was trying to apply what Rockerdan had done to his where he set his up to float and is using Cat shims between the sheaves for deflection.

Back